Abbas quashes militant's appointment to Palestinian security post | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Abbas quashes militant's appointment to Palestinian security post

Dion Nissenbaum - Knight Ridder Newspapers

April 21, 2006 03:00 AM

JERUSALEM—Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas on Friday quashed a Hamas attempt to appoint a militant on Israel's most wanted list to a top security post, as divisions between Abbas and Hamas sharpened.

Less than 24 hours after the new interior minister appointed militant Jamal Abu Samhadana as a security adviser, Abbas rejected the move as illegal.

Israeli and American officials condemned Abu Samhadana's appointment, saying it showed that the new Hamas-dominated Palestinian government supported terrorism. Abbas seeks peace talks with Israel; Hamas advocates Israel's destruction.

Abu Samhadana became one of Israel's most wanted militants after he formed the Popular Resistance Committees, an umbrella group of militants. The group staged the first attacks that destroyed Israeli tanks and claimed responsibility for killing a top Palestinian security adviser last summer. It also was suspected of being behind a 2003 bombing of a U.S. convoy at the Gaza Strip border with Israel that killed three American security workers. Israel tried to kill Abu Samhadana in 2004 with a missile attack.

Abu Samhadana is popular in Gaza, and some Palestinians think he could help end widespread disrespect for the law.

Abu Samhadana's appointment by Hamas, however, was a direct challenge to Abbas amid an increasing power struggle over who'll control the 60,000-strong Palestinian security forces.

Hamas won a decisive victory in January's Palestinian parliamentary elections, which gave it the right to control the new Cabinet, but Abbas aides have looked for ways to deny the incoming leaders control over security.

Earlier this month, Abbas named a loyal ally to a top post in the Interior Ministry, placing himself between the Hamas interior minister and the security forces, most of whom are loyal to the president's Fatah party.

Abu Samhadana's appointment was viewed as a counter-strike.

On Friday, Abbas announced that the move was illegal under Palestinian law and said he was blocking Abu Samhadana's appointment. The president said the interior minister had no authority to create a new security post or to set up a new security force made up of militants, as Hamas had planned.

Hamas officials disputed the president's interpretation of the law and planned to meet this weekend to discuss their options.

Before Abbas' move was announced, Abu Samhadana told al Jazeera television that he wouldn't give up his role as a leading militant fighting Israel when he took over the security post.

"My new job will not prevent me from my work with the (Popular Resistance) Committees," he said.

———

(c) 2006, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTO (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): MIDEAST-HAMAS

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1029587

May 24, 2007 03:36 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service