Victims recount janjaweed attacks | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Victims recount janjaweed attacks

Shashank Bengali - Knight Ridder Newspapers

April 04, 2006 03:00 AM

ADRE, Chad—Since 2003, Sudan's Arab janjaweed militias have terrorized blacks in the Darfur region by burning villages, stealing cattle and livestock and indiscriminately shooting civilians.

In recent months, they've exported that campaign of terror to black villages in neighboring Chad, where victims describe attacks virtually identical to those in Darfur.

The Sudanese government has denied that it still supports the militias, but Chadians' accounts in interviews with Knight Ridder suggest that the janjaweed remain well armed and the scope of their attacks is widening.

"They surrounded the village, they took all our animals and our food and they left nothing," said Gamar Souleymana, 30, describing a janjaweed attack last month near the town of Goungour, about 25 miles south of Adre.

Two people died in the raid, said Souleymana, who had his right leg amputated at the knee in Adre's hospital.

Like many of Darfur's victims, Souleymana belongs to the Masalit tribe, members of whom live on both sides of the Chad-Sudan border. Souleymana, who wore a dull, expressionless gaze, said he thought the janjaweed were crossing into Chad to continue what they started in Darfur.

"In Sudan there aren't any animals left for them," he said. "That's why we see them in the border areas all the time."

Twenty-year-old Abdoul Kassim, who lost both his legs in an attack near Goungour in February, said he knew the janjaweed were coming when he heard dozens of camels and horses rushing toward their village in the middle of the night.

Some of the militiamen had two automatic rifles slung over their shoulders, Kassim said. There were so many of them, he said, that the few villagers who kept weapons in their huts in case of an attack didn't bother trying to defend themselves.

Kassim lost all of his 32 head of sheep in the raid. Most of his fellow villagers lost theirs as well, he said.

The janjaweed appear to be making something of a sport out of their attacks. Khamis Zakaria, 75, said two militiamen on camels had approached him one morning in early March, when he was alone gathering water from a stream, with nothing of value besides his donkey.

"They said, `Stop. Do you know who we are?'" said Zakaria, a frail man whose ribcage poked through his T-shirt. "I didn't stop, and they fired two bullets at me."

One pierced his left wrist, the other his right thigh, which is now in a cast. The donkey ran off, and the janjaweed left empty-handed.

"Everyone in this area is scared of them," Zakaria said. "You don't know when they are coming, or what they will do."

———

(c) 2006, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

PHOTOS (from KRT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): SUDAN-CHAD

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1028883

May 24, 2007 03:33 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service