Bush seeks more peacekeepers for Sudan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Bush seeks more peacekeepers for Sudan

William Douglas - Knight Ridder Newspapers

May 08, 2006 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—President Bush called Monday for more United Nations peacekeepers to help enforce a new peace accord for Sudan's Darfur region that he says offers "the beginnings of hope" toward ending a conflict that has killed an estimated 200,000 people and displaced 2 million more.

Bush praised Friday's U.S.-brokered accord between the government of Sudan in east-central Africa and the leading rebel group, the Sudan Liberation Army; two smaller rebel groups refused to sign the pact. He repeated his call for Congress to approve $225 million in emergency food aid for Sudan.

The president also said he had ordered the emergency purchase of 44,000 tons of food and was dispatching five ships loaded with food to the region.

"We're still far away from our ultimate goal, which is the return of millions of displaced people to their homes so they can have a life without fear," Bush said. "But we can now see a way forward."

The president sees the agreement as the beginning of the end of a bloody 3-year-old conflict that the United States has called a genocide. It started when Darfur's African tribal villagers armed themselves against the Arab-dominated government in Khartoum in a battle for greater political rights.

The agreement calls for the Sudanese government to present a plan within 30 days to disarm the Arab militias known as the janjaweed, which clashed with the rebels and conducted a campaign of looting, arson and murder. The accord also calls for 4,000 rebel troops to be accepted into the national military and for 1,000 to join police forces.

To help enforce the peace, Bush administration officials want the number of African Union troops who patrol the region to increase to about 14,000 from 7,200 and want them placed under U.N. control.

"In the longer term, the African Union troops must be the core of a larger military force that is more mobile and more capable, which generates better intelligence and is given a clear mandate to protect the civilians from harm," Bush said.

The administration's handling of the Darfur situation won rare praise from House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi of California.

"President Bush is to be commended for his efforts for the people of Darfur," Pelosi said in a written statement. "The achievement at the bargaining table in Abuja last week must not be diluted through inaction by the international community. The people of Darfur cannot afford for us to waste a moment."

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is scheduled to address the U.N. Security Council on Tuesday and request a resolution to accelerate the deployment of more peacekeepers to Darfur. Whether the Sudanese government will accept the U.N. force was unclear Monday. Bush said he had called Sudan's president, Omar al-Bashir, to urge his "government to express clear support for a U.N. force."

Despite the agreement, the situation remains tense in Darfur. U.N. humanitarian chief Jan Egeland left a refugee camp there Monday when demonstrators who backed a U.N. peacekeeping force attacked a translator, charging that he was a janjaweed supporter. No one was injured in the melee.

———

(c) 2006, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service