Egypt hit by 2 more suicide attacks | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Egypt hit by 2 more suicide attacks

Miret El-Naggar - Knight Ridder Newspapers

April 26, 2006 03:00 AM

CAIRO, Egypt—Two suicide bombers detonated explosives in Egypt's northern Sinai Peninsula on Wednesday, killing only themselves, but unsettling a country still recovering from triple blasts Monday that killed 24 and wounded as many as 160 in a tourist resort on Sinai's Red Sea coast.

Officials said the bombers apparently were targeting international peacekeepers in one bombing and Egyptian police in the other near the town of El-Arish. Links to Monday's bombings were unclear, however, and both officials and independent analysts said they couldn't comment on a possible tie until investigators complete their work.

Egyptian officials have long blamed Sinai unrest on local Bedouin tribes while insisting that the Bedouins have no ties to terrorist groups such as al-Qaida. In the aftermath of a bombing at the resort city of Taba in 2004, Egyptian security forces arrested 2,400 Bedouins in connection with the explosion. As many as 80 local Bedouins were arrested after Monday's bombings in the town of Dahab.

An Interior Ministry statement said the second of Wednesday's bombings involved a Bedouin on a bicycle who blocked a police car carrying two Egyptian officers responding to the first bombing. The bomber blew himself up, but neither officer was injured.

The first bombing occurred near an airport used by U.N.-supervised international peacekeepers assigned to police a 1979 peace agreement between Egypt and Israel. The Interior Ministry said an Egyptian police officer and two members of the Multinational Force and Observers were on the way to the airport when they passed a man holding a package. As they passed, the package exploded. They weren't harmed, the statement said.

Egyptian authorities gave new figures for dead and injured in the bombing in Dahab, saying 24 people had been killed and 160 injured. Most of the dead and wounded were Egyptian.

Interior Ministry officials refused to speculate on the motive for Monday's bombings, which struck as Egyptians were enjoying a long weekend that coincided with the Coptic Christian celebration of Easter and of Sinai Liberation Day. It marks the anniversary of Egypt regaining control over the entire Sinai Peninsula in 1986 from Israel.

While declining to speculate on Wednesday's blasts, independent analysts said they believe the Dahab bombing was linked to two earlier bombings of Sinai tourist resorts—the Taba bombing in 2004 and attacks in Sharm el-Sheikh last year.

Diaa Rashwan, an expert on Islamist movements at the Ahram Center for Strategic Studies, called the relationship among the three attacks "definite." He noted that all took place on national holidays, targeted tourist resorts and involved simultaneous bombings.

The Taba bombing in October 2004 came on the 31st anniversary of Egypt's 1973 war with Israel. The Sharm el-Sheikh bombings came on July 23, the anniversary of the Egyptian revolution.

Rashwan said there was no evidence linking al-Qaida or Osama bin Laden to the attacks.

"Neither Osama bin Laden nor Ayman al-Zawahri have praised any of the attacks, which shows the attackers weren't Islamists from their group," Rashwan said, referring to the Egyptian cleric who is bin Laden's No. 2.

———

(El Naggar is a Knight Ridder special correspondent.)

———

(c) 2006, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

GRAPHIC (from KRT Graphics, 202-383-6064): 20060426 Sinai blast

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1029717

May 24, 2007 03:38 PM

Read Next

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

By Kevin G. Hall

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

A program called PACE makes it possible for people with equity in their homes to get easy money for clean energy improvements, regardless of income. But some warn this can lead to financial hardship, even foreclosure.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service