Lebanese family uprooted by Israeli air strikes still back Hezbollah | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Lebanese family uprooted by Israeli air strikes still back Hezbollah

Nada Raad - McClatchy Newspapers

July 15, 2006 03:00 AM

BEIT MERY, Lebanon—Hussein Dakroub woke up this Thursday at four in the morning to the sound of Israeli warplanes attacking his Shiite Muslim village in southern Lebanon.

At noontime Saturday, he and his wife, their five children, his mother and father, and his sister and her child were some 80 miles away at his sister's house in Beit Mery, a mostly Christian town in the mountains overlooking the capital, Beirut. Dakroub was wearing his sister's pajamas.

"We had to flee without having the time to pack," he explained. "I had to wash my pants. I am still waiting for them to get dry."

All 11 of them are staying in one room, and on a table in the center of it Dakroub's wife was serving eggs and yogurt. "Eat with us," she told a McClatchy reporter.

The Israeli attacks, it appeared, hadn't dampened the legendary Lebanese hospitality, which after all has survived more than three decades of nearly constant strife. Neither, however, had they turned Dakroub and others against the militant Islamist group Hezbollah, which started the latest trouble by kidnapping two Israeli soldiers last Wednesday and firing rockets into Israel.

"We will stay here until the end of this war," Dakroub said. "But we don't want it to end until we defeat our enemy, Israel. We will never surrender. We have a just cause and we will keep fighting until our detainees are freed."

Srifa, some 60 miles south of Beirut, was the first village attacked by Israeli warplanes after Hezbollah crossed into Israel and kidnapped the two soldiers.

"Akil Merhi's house in the village was the first to be attacked," Dakroub said. "His wife, five-year-old girl and 10-year-old boy, and himself, all died from the raid."

Merhi, who lives in Brazil, had returned home 15 days earlier to spend the summer with his family.

"Many houses in our village were bombarded," Dakroub said. "People were frightened, particularly children. You could hear them crying and screaming everywhere."

At around 6 a.m., Dakroub gathered the members of his families and decided to leave the village. He refuses to say they "ran away" or "escaped".

"We are not cowards," he said. "We decided to come here because we have children and we fear that their lives would be at risk."

Other men, he said, stayed in Srifa. "They will never leave," he said.

It took Dakroub and his family around five hours to get to Beit Mery.

"Usually, it takes me only two hours to get here when I want to visit my sister Zahra," he said. When Dakroub and his family left Srifa, Israeli warplanes had already started to attack the roads leading to the capital, which prevented some southern residents from fleeing.

"We had to take several roads to find an open one," he said.

After he reached Beit Mery safely, Dakroub returned to Srifa to get other families. "I saw bombs falling in front of me on my way to Srifa," he said. "The way back was even harder."

Israeli warplanes bombed the bridge between Ghazieh and Sidon, a major southern city, as Dakroub was returning. "But, thank God, all families could be able to leave the village," he said.

———

(c) 2006, McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

1032779

May 24, 2007 03:56 PM

Read Next

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

By Kevin G. Hall

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

A program called PACE makes it possible for people with equity in their homes to get easy money for clean energy improvements, regardless of income. But some warn this can lead to financial hardship, even foreclosure.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service