Greek cruise ship to evacuate Americans | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Greek cruise ship to evacuate Americans

Drew Brown - McClatchy Newspapers

July 17, 2006 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The U.S. military plans to use a commercial cruise ship escorted by a Navy destroyer for a large-scale evacuation of Americans fleeing Israel's bombardment of Lebanon.

The Orient Queen, a Greek cruise ship capable of carrying 750 passengers, was due to arrive at the island nation of Cyprus, 125 miles from Lebanon, on Tuesday, said Lt. Col. Trey Kate, a spokesman for U.S. Central Command. The USS Gonzalez will accompany the ship to Lebanon, said Lt. Cmdr. Jeff Breslau, a spokesman for the U.S. Navy's Fifth Fleet.

People trapped in Lebanon can't fly out from Beirut because the airport is closed due to heavy bombing damage. Syria agreed to accept Americans leaving Lebanon by land, but the U.S. State Department advised against driving to Syria because so many roads and bridges in Lebanon have been destroyed and could be hit by further airstrikes.

Israeli jets and artillery began pounding Lebanon last week after gunmen from Hezbollah, which is based in Lebanon, kidnapped two Israeli soldiers in a cross-border raid. Hezbollah has struck back with missile attacks on northern Israeli towns and cities, and last week a missile struck an Israeli warship several miles off the Lebanese coast. More than 200 people have been reported killed in Lebanon.

An estimated 25,000 Americans are in Lebanon, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said. The U.S. government is planning for an evacuation of thousands, he said.

A group of about 100 Marines from the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit under the command of Brig. Gen. Carl Jensen in Cyprus was coordinating the evacuation.

It was unclear how many days it would take to move hundreds of Americans at a time. McCormack would only say that it would happen "in the very near future."

Only 64 Americans had been evacuated as of Monday. Marine Corps CH-53 helicopters ferried them on Sunday and Monday to Cyprus.

The U.S. Embassy in Beirut on Monday instructed Americans who wanted to be evacuated to pack and be ready, but it didn't say when they'd be leaving.

An American aircraft carrier could accommodate more people, but none was in the Mediterranean and the smaller cruise ship would be easier to maneuver into port, Breslau said.

Breslau said the operation would have to be coordinated with the Lebanese and Israeli governments before the evacuation ships entered into the danger zone.

People with urgent medical needs and elderly and unaccompanied minors will get helped out first, McCormack said. "We want to work to get everybody out who wants to get out. That's our job, and that's what we're working on."

Jonathan Godfrey, a spokesman for Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., said Conyers' office had received about 30 calls from constituents demanding U.S. government action to get their loved ones out of harm's way.

Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., said many people within his district of Dearborn, which is home to many Arab Americans, also had received numerous calls for help.

"We have been contacted by many of our constituents worried about their loved ones in harm's way, and we are working with them, the U.S. government and humanitarian organizations to help," he said. "Evacuating 25,000 Americans on a moment's notice is a difficult operation for the State Department and our military planners, but it must be handled expeditiously."

The State Department said those evacuated would pay the commercial cost for the trip.

———

(c) 2006, McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

By Kevin G. Hall

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

A program called PACE makes it possible for people with equity in their homes to get easy money for clean energy improvements, regardless of income. But some warn this can lead to financial hardship, even foreclosure.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service