U.S. forces move to quell sectarian violence in Balad | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

U.S. forces move to quell sectarian violence in Balad

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

October 17, 2006 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—The U.S. military has sent troops to the Iraqi city of Balad and the surrounding area to help re-establish order after Iraqi troops and police were unable to quell a surge of violence between Sunni and Shiite Muslims over the weekend that left at least 57 people dead.

Confirmation that American troops have been sent back to Balad came as Iraq's bloodletting continued. At least 700 Iraqis have been killed so far this month nationwide, according to numbers provided by police in Iraq's largest provinces. In addition, 58 U.S. soldiers have died so far this month, a trend that if it continues will make October one of the deadliest months for Americans since the U.S.-led invasion in March 2003.

The decision to send American troops into Balad, 50 miles north of Baghdad, was another setback for U.S. hopes that Iraqi forces will be able to take control of security for the country. Violence has increased steadily throughout Iraq despite an increase of tens of thousands of American-trained Iraqi soldiers and police, and U.S. officials concede that their strategy of training Iraqi troops to replace Americans hasn't worked.

U.S. authorities had turned over responsibility for Balad's security to the 3rd Battalion, 1st Brigade, 4th Iraqi Army Division, in April.

American forces began returning to the city Saturday and are patrolling there, though it was unclear Tuesday whether Balad and the surrounding area have been pacified.

U.S. Lt. Col. Jeffrey Martindale, the commander of the 1st Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division, said in a statement released Tuesday that his troops were patrolling alongside Iraqis in Balad. "By coordinating all of our efforts, we have seen a marked decrease in violence in the past 24 hours," the statement quoted Martindale as saying.

Residents, however, said that Balad and the nearby town of al Dulyiyah remained under the control of armed groups that had targeted the residents and may have killed as many as 100 in four days of violence.

The violence in Balad and al Dulyiyah underscores how explosive the rivalry between Iraq's Sunni and Shiite communities has become and how ineffective Iraqi security forces often are. Residents said some Iraqi police officers had contributed to the slaughter.

Balad is populated primarily by Shiites. Sunnis, however, are the dominant sect in the province, Salah al Din, whose capital, Tikrit, is the birthplace of Saddam Hussein. Samarra, where an explosion Feb. 22 devastated the sacred Shiite Askariya shrine, is in Salah al Din. The shrine bombing touched off Iraq's current sectarian bloodletting.

Accounts of what took place over the weekend vary, with residents, Iraqi police and American officials giving differing numbers of dead.

U.S. officials say the violence began last Friday when gunmen kidnapped at least 19 Shiites in Balad and murdered them. On Saturday, according to the American account, gunmen seized 38 people in the Sunni town of al Dulyiyah, exactly double the number of Shiites killed the day earlier. Their bodies later were dumped in Balad.

Two U.S. military officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to speak on the subject, tied Friday's kidnappings and murders to the trial of Saddam Hussein on charges that he ordered the killings of 148 Shiite residents of Dujail after an assassination attempt against him in 1982. Dujail and Balad have Salah al Din's only significant concentrations of Shiites.

What happened after Saturday's kidnappings and murders is unclear. Residents say that as many as 100 Sunnis were killed around Balad as Shiite militias took control of the region. American officials said they couldn't confirm that figure.

Residents said Shiite police commanders were involved in some of the killings and that U.S. forces, several thousand of whom are based at nearby Camp Anaconda, made no effort to stop the bloodshed.

So far, American and Iraqi forces have detained two Iraqi police officers allegedly involved in the killings of the Sunnis from al Dulyiyah, Martindale said.

———

(McClatchy Newspapers special correspondent Hassan al Jubouri in Tikrit, Iraq, contributed to this report.)

———

(c) 2006, McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

By Kevin G. Hall

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

A program called PACE makes it possible for people with equity in their homes to get easy money for clean energy improvements, regardless of income. But some warn this can lead to financial hardship, even foreclosure.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service