New study overstates cost of troop surge in Iraq, Pentagon says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

New study overstates cost of troop surge in Iraq, Pentagon says

Drew Brown - McClatchy Newspapers

February 02, 2007 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—A report by the Congressional Budget Office "dramatically overstates both the cost and the personnel" involved in President Bush's decision to beef up U.S. forces in Iraq, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Friday.

The CBO reported Thursday that Bush's plan could involve as many as 48,000 troops and cost as much as $27 billion, if those forces remain in the country for a year.

But the dollar estimate assumes that the boost in forces will last through fiscal year 2009, not 2007, the defense secretary said.

Recapping testimony last month to the Senate Armed Services Committee, Gates said he thought that the surge in troops would last only a few months, "rather than 18 months or two years."

"So one of the differences is in a dramatic difference in the time span of the assumption," Gates said at the Pentagon. "The second is that the estimate of the number of support forces required is dramatically higher."

He said the Pentagon expected the support troops to number 10 to 15 percent of the CBO estimate.

President Bush announced last month that he's sending 21,500 troops to shore up U.S. security efforts in Baghdad and in Anbar province in western Iraq. The administration says it will cost $5.6 billion to keep those troops in Iraq through the end of 2007. It had initially estimated that cost at $3.2 billion.

The CBO said the Bush plan had identified only combat troops, who'd require as many as 28,000 support troops—including logisticians, military police, medics, and communications and headquarters personnel—to carry out their mission for 12 months.

The CBO report outlined four scenarios, ranging from 35,000 troops staying in Iraq for as little as four months to 48,000 troops staying in the country for up to one year.

Bush's plan to reinforce the U.S. presence in Iraq has generated growing opposition on Capitol Hill, but much confusion remains over what the effort will involve.

As the CBO report pointed out, the surge will be accomplished primarily by extending the deployments of some U.S. troops already in Iraq, while others will be sent sooner than expected. According to Pentagon officials, no combat troops who weren't already scheduled to go to Iraq this year will be sent.

———

Editors: Some of you might notice that the cost of the new troop deployment in Iraq cited in this story and earlier reports are different. Both are correct. Friday's figure, $27 billion, is the cost in the Congressional Budget Office's report. It's based on 20,000 additional troops in Iraq. Thursday's figure, $29 billion, is the cost of deploying and supporting the 21,500 soldiers that President Bush has ordered for Iraq.

———

(c) 2007, McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service