Controversy has followed eavesdropping program | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Controversy has followed eavesdropping program

McClatchy Newspapers - McClatchy Newspapers

May 15, 2007 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—President Bush authorized the eavesdropping program after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks to monitor telephone and Internet communications in and out of the United States when officials have "reasonable grounds to believe" that one party is a member of al-Qaida or an affiliated terrorist organization.

Administration officials argued that the program, which for years operated secretly, didn't need explicit approval from the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance court. Instead, administration officials reviewed the program every 45 or 90 days.

But when The New York Times revealed the existence of the program in late 2005, members of Congress and civil libertarians raised questions about its legality.

Last year, U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor in Detroit found the program violated the U.S. Constitution's provisions enumerating separation of powers and the right to free speech and privacy. The Bush administration is appealing the ruling.

In a major retreat in January, the Bush administration announced that it had obtained approval for the program from the secret court and said it would no longer resort to conducting warrantless telephone taps to search for terrorists.

———

(c) 2007, McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service