Obama seeks funds to deepen Charleston port | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Latest News

Obama seeks funds to deepen Charleston port

James Rosen - McClatchy Newspapers

February 13, 2012 06:36 PM

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama asked lawmakers Monday to spend $3.5 million to explore deepening the Charleston, S.C., port in the $3.8 trillion budget he sent to Congress for the 2013 fiscal year.

The new money for the Charleston port deepening study by the Army Corps of Engineers would come on top of $2.5 million the agency allocated last week for the same project.

Bill Stern, chairman of the South Carolina Ports Authority, said deepening the port from 45 feet to 50 feet is necessary to accommodate giant cargo ships that will arrive along the Atlantic seaboard after the Panama Canal widening is completed in 2014.

While Obama's budget is unlikely to pass Congress in the heat of an election year, Sen. Lindsey Graham said the "presidential earmark" would make it easier for Graham, a Seneca, S.C., Republican, to help appropriate the money to expand the port-deepening study.

Graham said he worked with House Assistant Democratic Leader Jim Clyburn of Columbia, Republican Rep. Tim Scott of North Charleston and Charleston Mayor Joe Riley to persuade Obama to request Charleston port study money for the first time in the fourth budget he's crafted since taking office in January 2009.

"I feel really good that working together, we put the Charleston harbor deepening on everyone's radar screen including the (Obama) administration," Graham said. "This is progress. We need to celebrate progress, but the budget as a whole is not going to see the light of day."

Scott, a tea party-backed former state representative who ran a fierce anti-spending congressional campaign, said the Charleston port is the type of smart investment the federal government should make.

"It has gone through a merit-based process to prove its importance to our nation and has obviously proven that worth not only to those of us in South Carolina, but to the president as well," Scott said.

"While there are many problems with the president's budget — tax hikes and spending increases, to name two — this is something he got right," Scott said.

Graham and other GOP lawmakers also criticized Obama's spending plan for the 2013 fiscal year, which starts Oct. 1, saying it would raises taxes and produce more than $1 trillion in new debt.

Obama's proposal includes $15.5 million for dredging of the Charleston harbor, but it has no maintenance money for the Georgetown harbor and little for other South Carolina waterways.

Elsewhere in South Carolina, Obama's budget seeks to spend about $807 million on nuclear waste cleanup at the Savannah River Site in Aiken County, plus almost $570 million to continue building a Mixed Oxide Fuel plant at the site to help convert 34 tons of weapons-grade plutonium from Russia.

In less happy news for Charleston, Obama proposed shutting the Charleston Marine Support Facility at the former Charleston Naval Base.

The facility is the home port for two research ships of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Adminstration — the Ronald H. Brown and the Nancy Foster. Those ships would dock at Norfolk, Va., under a broader NOAA consolidation plan.

The National Weather Service's forecast office in North Charleston, also part of NOAA, would remain open.

The study to deepen the Charleston port would cost about $20 million, to be split evenly between the federal government and the S.C. Ports Authority.

If the study finds the project feasible, design, engineering and construction costs would bring the total price tag to $200 million, also divided between Washington and South Carolina.

Charleston is competing with Savannah and other Atlantic ports for deepening funds in an era of fiscal austerity.

Graham switched to the Senate Appropriations Committee in January 2011, giving up seats on the homeland security and veterans' affairs panels, in large measure to help secure funding to deepen the Charleston port.

It's become harder for lawmakers to fund such projects as both parties observe a moratorium on spending earmarks first championed by Sen. Jim DeMint, a Greenville, S.C., Republican.

Graham said he pushed for money to study deepening the Charleston port during several meetings with Vice President Joe Biden, a friend from Biden's days in the Senate.

Riley, the Charleston mayor since 1975 who has deep Democratic ties, spoke directly with Obama about the project, Graham said.

"Joe Riley, Clyburn, all of us working together — I just think it's a result of not taking no for an answer," Graham said. "I threatened to shut the Senate down."

ON THE WEB

Army Corps of Engineers Fiscal Year 2013 Budget

Fiscal Year Budget of the U.S. Government

National Nuclear Security Administration 2013 Fiscal Year Budget

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Charleston port project gets funding infusion

Bipartisan push gets funds for study on deepening Charleston port

Coastal lawmakers say ports tax should be used for ports

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE LATEST NEWS

Latest News

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service