Appointee for U.S. attorney vacancy won't seek a permanent post | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

News

Appointee for U.S. attorney vacancy won't seek a permanent post

Marisa Taylor - McClatchy Newspapers

February 16, 2007 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON — A former aide to presidential adviser Karl Rove who replaced one of the recently ousted U.S. attorneys has decided not to seek the job permanently after concluding that the Senate would block his confirmation.

Tim Griffin, the U.S. attorney in Little Rock, said Friday that he wasn't asked to step aside by the administration, despite the controversy sparked by Attorney General Alberto Gonzales' unexpected firings of seven Republican-appointed U.S. attorneys.

Griffin, 38, said he would be willing to remain interim U.S. attorney until a replacement is named. Under a change in the law last year, that means he could stay in office until the end of President Bush's term.

"I will be here as long as the White House and Department of Justice want me here," he said. "Under the law, I could be here, hypothetically, until end of 2008 or early 2009."

Justice Department officials described Griffin as a talented and experienced lawyer and accused Sen. Mark Pryor, D-Ark., of trying to block Griffin from becoming a permanent U.S. attorney. Justice Department officials said Friday that the administration would work with the Arkansas delegation to find a replacement. Gonzales has told senators that he'll submit all U.S. attorney candidates for Senate confirmation.

"Given Tim's strong qualifications, the attorney general is disappointed that Senator Pryor would not support Tim's confirmation," Justice Department spokeswoman Gina Talamona said.

Administration officials have been forced to defend the firings in recent weeks after critics raised concerns that well-respected U.S. attorneys were being removed to make way for handpicked candidates who'd be less likely to buck the White House.

Griffin took office after the Justice Department asked longtime U.S. attorney Bud Cummins to step aside. Justice Department officials later acknowledged that Cummins was removed to make way for Griffin and not for any "performance-related" reasons. The department cited unspecified performance issues as justification for firing the other six prosecutors.

Griffin, a former spokesman for the Republican National Committee, was criticized as having more impressive political credentials than courtroom experience. Former White House counsel Harriet Miers had asked the Justice Department to appoint him. Griffin, a former military attorney, was a prosecutor in Little Rock for about a year and an independent counsel for three years.

Gonzales called Pryor Thursday night to tell him that the Justice Department would not ask the Senate to confirm Griffin.

Gonzales promised that the administration would seek confirmation for another candidate, but he didn't say when an announcement would be made, said Michael Teague, Pryor's spokesman.

Teague said Pryor hadn't made up his mind about Griffin, but simply wanted him to come before the Senate for confirmation. Pryor was concerned that a change in the Patriot Act last March meant that Griffin could stay in office indefinitely without confirmation. "It's not about Tim Griffin, it's about restoring legitimacy to the process," Teague said.

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE NEWS

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service