U.S. attorney asserts politics had no place in his decisions | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

News

U.S. attorney asserts politics had no place in his decisions

Margaret Talev and Marisa Taylor - McClatchy Newspapers

April 14, 2007 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The U.S. attorney in Milwaukee said Saturday that political self-preservation was never a factor in his decision to prosecute a Democratic state official for corruption before last year's election, and that he was never pressured by the Bush administration or the president's political aides to pursue the case.

Steven M. Biskupic also said in his five years as U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, he has brought at least a dozen cases against Republican contributors or individuals with party ties. Further, he asserted he has declined to prosecute several allegations of Democratic voter fraud pushed by Republicans.

Biskupic's remarks came in response to a report by McClatchy Newspapers that congressional investigators saw his name on a Justice Department list targeting certain U.S. attorneys for removal because of perceptions they had performed poorly or were disloyal to the administration.

In a prepared statement and a telephone interview, Biskupic did not assert that he was targeted as political retaliation. "I have no idea either when, how, or why I was on this list," he said.

Lawmakers learned of the list weeks ago through their investigation into whether politics improperly influenced the Justice Department's firing of eight U.S. attorneys last year. They also want to know whether U.S. attorneys who remained may have responded inappropriately to political pressure.

The Justice Department's inability to satisfy lawmakers' concerns has put Attorney General Alberto Gonzales' job on the line. Asked to assess Gonzales' leadership, Biskupic declined comment.

"I have concerns that these circumstances have come together," he said. "I'm a career prosecutor and my concerns are for the Department of Justice as a whole."

The Justice Department declined immediate comment Saturday.

An appeals court this month threw out the Thompson conviction, saying the evidence was too thin. Biskupic said Saturday, "There is no connection between the decision to charge Georgia Thompson and my job status," At the time of the case, he said, "I had no belief that my job status was ever in jeopardy."

It was Gonzales' former chief of staff, Kyle Sampson, who kept an unofficial ranking of U.S. attorneys that rated them as loyal and strong performers, as neutral, or as worthy of removal. The Justice Department has insisted that the list was not official and was never acted upon. Biskupic said he believes the list had "no credibility" with the department.

Biskupic said he began to suspect his name might have been on the target list weeks ago, after the White House acknowledged that Bush political adviser Karl Rove passed along to Gonzales complaints about voter fraud in Milwaukee. He said he confirmed his suspicions through contacts he would not disclose—but said he has not been told anything official by the Justice Department.

While Congress became interested in whether Biskupic's conviction of state worker Georgia Thompson last year might have contributed to the administration's decision to keep him, investigators are as interested in what prompted his name to be added to the list in the first place.

The congressional source who confirmed that Biskupic's name appeared on a target list also said it was unclear when he was targeted.

For that reason, Biskupic's statements about having prosecuted Republicans and having turned down voter fraud prosecutions that might have hurt Democrats could be of particular interest to Congress.

Read Next

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE NEWS

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service