S.C. re-enactor to march in black unit at Obama inauguration | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

News

S.C. re-enactor to march in black unit at Obama inauguration

Wayne Washington - The State

January 05, 2009 07:26 AM

Every very summer, Joseph McGill dons the thick blue uniform of a Union soldier and re-enacts the historic Civil War battle at Morris Island, outside Charleston.

The battle ends the same way each time — the African-American troops of the famed 54th Massachusetts are decimated by Confederates — but the message of the re-enactment is the same, too: Those black men — who fought so hard for the right to fight for their country and their freedom — never will be forgotten.

Now, with the nation about to swear in its first black president, McGill, 47, a program officer for the National Trust for Historic Preservation in Charleston, has a chance to take his show on the road.

McGill has been asked to participate in an inaugural march with other 54th Massachusetts re-enactors who hail from that state.

So far, McGill is the lone South Carolinian who has been asked to participate, though he would like other re-enactors from this state to be included.“I’m the lucky one,” said McGill, who was asked Dec. 19 to participate in the march as part of the inauguration of Barack Obama.

McGill said he and other re-enactors have pressed members of Congress to have the inaugural parade committee expand the number of people who can participate.

“I’m keeping my fingers crossed,” McGill said.

Read the complete story at thestate.com

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE NEWS

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service