Attorneys: Alleged father killer was obsessed with Columbine | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Attorneys: Alleged father killer was obsessed with Columbine

Jesse Jame DeConto - Raleigh News & Observer

August 03, 2009 03:09 PM

HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. — Attorneys gave opening statements Monday in the Alvaro Castillo murder case.

Defense attorney James Wiliams did not dispute the basic facts of the case. Castillo is charged with killing his father, Rafael Huezo Castillo, at their Hillsborough home Aug. 30, 2006, and then firing shots at Orange High School, his alma mater.

Williams detailed Castillo and his mother's claims of abuse by the boy's father and the mental health treatment that Castillo received in the months before the shootings.

Williams talked about Castillo's obsession with the shootings at Columbine High School. Just weeks before the shootings, Castillo and his mother took a trip to Littleton, Colo., after he begged to go and said he would go by himself if he had to. Williams told how excited Castillo had been to see ordinary sites in Littleton such as a Chili's restaurant.

District Attorney Jim Woodall objected, saying Williams was drifting into an argument of Castillo's alleged insanity. But Judge Allen Baddour let those statements stand.

The case will be less about how Rafael Castillo ended up dead in the family's house. Instead, the trial could hinge on what was going on inside the head of Alvaro Castillo, who, according to his lawyer, suffers from mental illness so debilitating that he cannot be held criminally responsible for the crimes of which he is accused.

Read the full story at newsobserver.com.

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service