Families of other victims find hope in Dugard's return | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Families of other victims find hope in Dugard's return

Robert Lewis and Chelsea Phua - Sacramento Bee

August 30, 2009 03:28 AM

SACRAMENTO — It was a stunning end to an 18-year mystery when Jaycee Lee Dugard resurfaced last week, one that has given grieving families and frustrated law enforcement officials something they'd almost lost: hope.

For Sharon Murch, hope was renewed when her husband woke her Thursday morning and whispered in her ear, "Do you know who Jaycee Dugard is?" Of course she did. Dugard was the girl taken three years after Murch's own daughter, 9-year-old Michaela Garecht, was kidnapped from a Hayward parking lot.

"I would ... give anything for her to be able to come home and hold her in my arms and give her the love I've been holding onto for the past 20 years," she said.

For Minnie Norrell, hope for resolution came as she learned that police are looking at a possible connection between Phillip Craig Garrido, the 58-year-old registered sex offender accused of kidnapping Dugard, and the murder of her daughter. The body of 15-year-old Lisa Norrell was found in 1998 in an industrial area near where Garrido worked at the time.

Investigators in agencies from El Dorado County to the Bay Area, too, look to long- unsolved cases like Dugard's for clues that might help them find those – alive or dead -- who disappeared.

The bizarre details uncovered this week when Dugard turned up in a Concord parole agent's office with the couple accused of snatching her when she was 11 have set off comparisons to other cases throughout Northern California.

Dugard, now 29, had two girls – 11 and 15 years old – with her captor while living in a hidden compound of tents and sheds in the backyard of his Antioch home.

Ernie Allen, president of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, said comparing details of missing persons cases with those that have been resolved is normal.

"It does provide these families hope. More importantly than that, it provides an opportunity for investigators to find new evidence and new links to cases that might not have been evident before," Allen said. "Jaycee's case is re-energizing and awakening law enforcement to long-term cases all across the country."

There is no known evidence that Garrido had anything to do with other kidnappings or any killings.

It's possible investigators won't be able to tie him to other cases. But Allen points out: "There's no such thing as false hope."

Hope – false or not – sprang for Murch early Thursday morning.

Read the full story at sacbee.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

crime

Abduction suspect spoke of schizophrenia, sexual desires

August 30, 2009 03:42 AM

crime

Details of Jaycee Lee Dugard's life begin to emerge

August 28, 2009 09:59 AM

crime

Sheriff apologizes for missed chance to rescue Jaycee Lee Dugard

August 28, 2009 04:14 PM

crime

Link sought between woman's abductor and prostitute killings

August 28, 2009 05:21 PM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service