Police wondering if man killed five near N. Carolina town | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Police wondering if man killed five near N. Carolina town

Thomasi McDonald - Raleign News & Observer

September 01, 2009 05:52 PM

ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. — Police have arrested a man and charged him with killing a woman found strangled earlier this year. Police say they're investigating whether he had anything to do with five other women found dead here since 2005.

The remains of Taraha Shenice Nicholson, 28, were found March 7 in the woods off Marriot Farm Road. Police allege Antwan Maurice Pittman, 31, of 219 Anderson Street in Rocky Mount, dragged her into a field along nearby Marriot Road and strangled her. Her remains were lying face up, arms raised above the head, according to autopsy reports.

Edgecombe County Sheriff James Knight said in a release that the investigation into the other women's deaths is ongoing, and no charges have been filed.

Pittman is a registered sex offender who was convicted in 1994 for taking indecent liberties with a 2-year-old child. He served three years in prison, according to the state sex offender registry. He is now being held without bail at the Edgecombe County jail on Anaconda Road in Tarboro, according to police.

Investigators began notifying families about Pittman's arrest around 12:30 p.m. today, but several families already had found out from television news.

Pepita Hargrove, sister of one of the dead women, said she didn't know if Pittman killed her sister or not, but that she feels relieved by the arrest.

"When I asked the Sheriff if this person man was responsible for the other murders, the sheriff said 'no comment,'" Hargrove said. "I'm hoping he's the one. If it's someone else — if he's not the one — I want the one who's responsible found."

All of the victims targeted were poor and living on the margins of society. Some, family members told police, peddled sex to finance their drug addictions.

The first victim, Melody Wiggins, 29, was found by police May 29, 2005, on Noble Mill Pond Road. She died of blunt-force trauma to the head and had been cut and stabbed repeatedly. Her body was partially covered by tree limbs, and the medical examiner wondered if she was dragged or had run from a field into the woods where her body was found.

The partially skeletal, nude remains of Jackie Thorpe, 35, were found Aug. 17, 2007, in a trash heap behind a burned-out crack house. The head and an arm had been separated from the body. The medical examiner did not determine a cause of death.

One year later, on March 13, 2008, the remains of Ernestine Battle, 50, were found face down in the woods. Her remains were unclothed. No cause of death was determined by the medical examiner, who wrote that the likely cause was homicidal violence.

The skeletal remains of the latest victim, Jarniece Latonya "Sunshine" Hargrove, 31, were discovered June 29 by a farmer working in a field. The farmer told police he found Hargrove's body just inside a wooded area off Seven Bridges Road. The medical examiner's office has not yet released a cause of death.

Read the full story at newsobserver.com.

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service