Sheriff's deputy's attempted rape report found untrue | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Sheriff's deputy's attempted rape report found untrue

Kim Minugh - Sacramento Bee

September 10, 2009 05:09 PM

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Nearly four years ago, Sacramento County Sheriff's Deputy Lisa Gargano called a fellow deputy to report a man had broken into her Carmichael home and attempted to rape her, according to sources. The call prompted a full-scale department response — involving more than a dozen patrol units, one of which crashed on the way — and an exhaustive investigation.

Ultimately, law enforcement souces told The Sacramento Bee, detectives found no evidence the crime had occurred. Gargano admitted she had been under the influence of prescription drugs at the time of the call, the sources said, and could have hallucinated the entire episode.

Gargano, now 37 and still a sheriff's deputy, was arrested this week on suspicion of driving under the influence of prescription drugs after police said she slammed her sport-utility vehicle into a Natomas Starbucks, injuring an elderly woman and an employee. She was off-duty at the time.

Gargano remains on paid administrative leave from her position as a patrol deputy in north Sacramento County. The Bee's efforts to reach her have been unsuccessful.

Law enforcement sources said earlier this week that Gargano had been using prescription drugs for years, following several on-duty injuries. At least once, they said, department officials required her to attend a drug rehabilitation program.

On Wednesday, three additional law enforcement sources told The Bee that Gargano's prescription drug use appeared to be at the root of the incident four years ago, when the deputy – off-duty at the time – reported she had been attacked. The sources spoke on condition of anonymity, citing medical and personnel privacy issues.

The sources said Gargano called her then-boyfriend, a fellow sheriff's deputy who was on duty that night in October 2005, and said someone had broken into her home, tried to rape her and was still at large. The boyfriend and his partner immediately headed for Gargano's Carmichael home and radioed for help.

The response was massive. A helicopter, K9 units, sexual assault detectives, sergeants, lieutenants, then-Undersheriff John McGinness and a throng of patrol units – including deputies assigned to the Rancho Cordova Police Department – sped to scene, according to the sources. They said one deputy was injured when he crashed his patrol car on his way there.

A perimeter was established, and deputies combed the neighborhood in search of a suspect matching Gargano's description of her attacker. Deputies questioned and released a man who fit the description, one source said.

But in the course of the investigation, detectives found no evidence to support Gargano's claims, according to two of the sources. She eventually told them she had been using prescription drugs, including the sleep-aid Ambien, and could have been hallucinating, the sources said.

Read the full story at sacbee.com.

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service