Judge dismisses radio exec from lawsuit in water death case | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Judge dismisses radio exec from lawsuit in water death case

October 05, 2009 06:36 PM

SACRAMENTO -- The broadcasting company executive in charge of the station where Jennifer Lea Strange died in a 2007 water-drinking contest was dismissed Monday as a defendant in the wrongful death lawsuit filed on behalf of the woman's survivors.

Trial of that suit is in its fourth week.

Sacramento Superior Court Judge Lloyd A. Phillips told the jury about the dismissal of John Geary from the case. The move to dismiss Geary, Entercom Sacramento LLC's vice president and market manager, was made following a discussion in Phillips' chambers with attorneys for the plaintiffs and defense.

The discussion was on the record, but Phillips sealed a record of the conversation.

Attorneys from both sides are precluded from discussing Geary's dismissal because of a gag order sought by Entercom's lawyers. Strange's attorneys did not oppose the request for the gag order.

Phillips told jurors that attorneys for both sides agreed "that John Geary was acting in the course and scope of his employment" at Entercom Sacramento at the time of Strange's Jan. 12, 2007, death. In the water-drinking event, contestants were asked to drink as much water as they could without urinating. The winner of the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest would then win a hard-to-get video game.

Geary declined to comment on his dismissal from the suit.

He testified last week that he didn't know anything about the water-drinking contest until he received news of Strange's death.

Read the full story at sacbee.com

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service