Former federal prisoner arrested in string of Florida attacks | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Former federal prisoner arrested in string of Florida attacks

Robert Napper - Bradenton Herald

October 06, 2009 03:39 PM

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Within weeks after he was released from federal prison late last year, Delmer Smith III began violently attacking Sarasota women in a string of home invasions, authorities say. The man police are calling a "monster" may also be responsible for several brutal home invasions this year in Manatee County.

Manatee County Sheriff Brad Steube said his detectives will also look for any links between Smith and the Aug. 3 slaying of Kathleen Briles in her Terra Ceia home.

Smith, 38, a Michigan native who moved to Bradenton, Fla., is responsible for at least four attacks in Sarasota, Sheriff Tom Knight said in announcing Smith's arrest. Investigators also suspect Smith in similar crimes in Bradenton and unincorporated Manatee, starting with a Feb. 16 attack on a female jogger who was beaten at gunpoint.

A muti-agency task force has been investigating a string of 11 attacks in Sarasota and Manatee counties that all appeared similar.

Smith, a former federal inmate released in late 2008 on a bank robbery conviction in Michigan, first turned up on law enforcement’s radar in Venice, Fla., when the police department began investigating him after a bar fight. He became a suspect in a string of burglaries in the Venice area, and police found a federal warrant accusing him of violating his probation on the 1995 bank robbery conviction. He was arrested Sept. 11.

Venice police notified task force investigators of Smith after searching his home and finding laptop computers, which Sarasota detectives then identified as stolen from home invasion victims in Sarasota. Smith was jailed in Pinellas County on the probation violation, and a match was later made to DNA evidence found at the Sarasota home invasions.

“It took teamwork and great police work by all of the agencies involved to get this monster off the street,” said Venice Police Capt. Tom McNulty.

Smith, who moved to Bradenton after prison and married a woman here, is being held in Pinellas on four counts of armed home invasion, five counts of false imprisonment and two counts of sexual battery and aggravated battery. Authorities say he has also lived in Venice and Sarasota.

Sarasota sheriff’s detectives say the attacks there began Feb. 22, when two women reported a man wearing a black ski mask, gloves and black clothing entered their home in the 3500 block of Osage Terrace, and beat them both. The gunman sexually assaulted one of the women, then tied them up.

Detectives matched Smith’s DNA in September to evidence at the crime scene, and also found a cell phone stolen from the attack while searching Smith’s belongings, according to sheriff’s reports.

Smith has also been linked to a March 7 attack in Sarasota, in which a woman reported being attacked in her Bougainvillea Street backyard. At the time, she said a man hit her over the head with a bottle and beat her before forcing her into her home.

The man then bound and gagged her on her bed and robbed the home. A laptop from the home later turned up in Smith’s possession, and DNA from the scene also matched him, according to officials.

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service