Suspect in Texas bombing may be dead, but probe goes on | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Suspect in Texas bombing may be dead, but probe goes on

Alex Branch - Fort Worth Star-Telegram

October 06, 2009 04:44 PM

The Texas attorney general will continue to investigate the 1985 bombing deaths of three people in Lake Worth despite the weekend death of the main suspect, a spokesman said Monday.

Michael Roy Toney, whose 1999 conviction and death sentence for the bombing were overturned last year, died Saturday when his pickup crashed in East Texas, authorities said.

Toney’s conviction was overturned in December because Tarrant County prosecutors improperly withheld evidence favorable to his defense during his trial. The attorney general’s office began reviewing the case in January after the Tarrant County district attorney’s office recused itself.

Toney and his attorneys have long insisted that he was innocent and that the real bomber remained free.

Jerry Strickland, the attorney general spokesman, wrote in an e-mail Monday that the attorney general’s office "is fully committed to thoroughly investigating the 1985 murders.  . . . That investigation continues."

Asked whether the investigation could include the pursuit of other suspects, Strickland wrote that "evidence will dictate the direction in the case and possible suspects."

A spokeswoman for O’Melveny & Myers L.L.P., the California-based law firm that handled Toney’s successful appeal, said Tuesday that the firm declined to comment on the investigation.

However, relatives of the bombing victims remain steadfast in their belief that Toney was guilty. Susan Blount, whose daughter Angela Blount, 15, and husband Joe Blount, 44, died in the bombing, said she considers Toney’s death the end of the case.

"I don’t mean to bring religion into this, but God works in mysterious ways," Susan Blount said. "He got out of prison, and he should not have gotten out of the prison."

Toney was released from jail one month before his death. The attorney general’s office dropped the charges against him, saying it needed more time to examine the evidence. The attorney general’s office, however, retained the right to retry Toney later.

No physical evidence connected Toney to the bombing. He was convicted largely on the testimony of his ex-wife and former best friend, who said they saw him plant the bomb.

Another witness testified that Toney told him that he was paid $5,000 to deliver the bomb but that he left it outside the wrong trailer. That witness later recanted.

During an appeal, Toney’s defense team uncovered 14 documents that were withheld from his defense during the trial, including records suggesting that investigators could have crafted witnesses’ accounts.

Susan Blount said her son, Robert, who received serious burns in the bombing, was relieved that he did not have to testify at another trial.

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service