Miami priest who fathered stripper's baby now wants custody | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Miami priest who fathered stripper's baby now wants custody

David Ovalle - Miami Herald

October 07, 2009 04:12 PM

MIAMI -- Former South Florida Catholic priest David Dueppen admits he fathered a baby with a former stripper but now wants custody of the infant girl.

In court documents filed this week in Miami-Dade family court, Dueppen said he wants majority custody of baby Marilyn Epiphany.

"He has never denied paternity for the child and he would like to be very involved in the child's life," his attorney, Raymon Rafool, said on Wednesday.

Rafool said Dueppen, 42, should have custody of the child at least 70 percent of the time.

The former stripper, Beatrice Hernandez, 42, came forward last month to claim that she had been Dueppen's on-again, off-again girlfriend since meeting him at Porky's strip club about seven years ago.

Dueppen joined the priesthood in 1999 and was last assigned to St. Maximilian Kolbe Church in Pembroke Pines. He took an indefinite leave of absence in August, after Hernandez reported the baby to the Archdiocese.

In court papers, Hernandez said Dueppen choked her during an argument over paternity and child support. Miami-Dade's family court has issued a temporary restraining order.

Dueppen denied the domestic abuse allegations, and is now looking for a job outside the priesthood, Rafool said.

Read the full story at MiamiHerald/com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

crime

Another Miami priest story, this one involving stripper, baby

September 18, 2009 07:16 PM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service