Man sought in shooting death of 17-year-old surrenders | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Man sought in shooting death of 17-year-old surrenders

Don Hunter and James Halpin - Anchorage Daily News

October 09, 2009 07:56 PM

ANCHORAGE -- A wanted man police say might have been involved in an East Anchorage gang-related gunfight that left a teenage girl dead last month turned himself in to police on unrelated charges Thursday. His lawyer said the 20-year-old had nothing to do with the shooting.

Christopher Mejia was being sought on warrants for drug and weapons charges not directly linked to the Sept. 20 shooting that left 17-year-old Desirae Douglas dead.

Meija turned himself in to police at the Anchorage Jail about 6:40 p.m. accompanied by his lawyer, Rex Butler. Police handcuffed Mejia and took him inside the jail.

"I think they (police) know he had nothing to do with the shooting," Butler said, standing on the sidewalk outside the jail in a damp, chill breeze. He said he thinks the cops want to talk to anyone they think might be a witness, but Butler said his client isn't interested in talking about it.

"I don't think anyone actually knows who shot the poor child, but at the same time nobody else wants to get shot, either."

Read the full story at adn.com

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service