Condits have a new reason they ducked service in a lawsuit | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Condits have a new reason they ducked service in a lawsuit

Michael Doyle - McClatchy Newspapers

November 16, 2009 06:01 PM

WASHINGTON — Former California congressman Gary Condit and his family members avoided being served legal papers in 2006 because they feared U.S. deputy marshals were actually reporters on the prowl, Condit's son Chad has now explained.

In a handwritten statement filed in federal court, Chad Condit says his family had good reason to shun strangers coming around their Phoenix-area home.

"(We) have been hounded and hunted by the national media for the past seven years," Chad Condit advised U.S. District Judge Earl H. Carroll, adding that "federal marshals plain clothed look like reporters."

The marshals, though, were on official courtroom business. They were attempting to deliver legal documents on behalf of Baskin-Robbins, the ice cream company then suing the Condit family for breach of contract. The company is currently trying to secure attorneys fees following its successful lawsuit.

Reporters have inspired fear and loathing from Condit family members since 2001, when Gary Condit became a tabloid target following the disappearance of former intern Chandra Levy. Levy's disappearance led to revelations that she was having an affair with Condit, a married member of Congress some three decades her senior.

"It was not comfortable because they were everywhere," Condit said of the reporting mob in a September 2004 deposition, adding that, "When you're called a murderer, it's a pretty brutal thing."

Some of the overheated tabloid coverage prompted defamation lawsuits from the Condit family, all of them now resolved. Police never called Condit a suspect.

Salvadoran immigrant Ingmar Guandique is now preparing for a January trial on charges that he murdered and sexually assaulted Levy in Washington's Rock Creek Park.

The Condits entered the ice cream business in 2005 after Gary Condit had lost his Northern San Joaquin Valley congressional seat in a 2002 primary challenge by Dennis Cardoza.

Baskin-Robbins won the breach-of-contract lawsuit last year, along with a judgment of more than $45,000. The money covers unpaid franchise, advertising and late fees for the two stores run by the Condits in 2005 and 2006.

After an unsuccessful appeal, the Condits are now challenging the bid by Baskin-Robbins attorney Charles Wirken for more than $60,000 in attorneys fees. The Condits are representing themselves and responded to Baskin-Robbins' demands with a five-page response on lined paper.

"The contract is not a government bailout for Mr. Wirken," Chad Condit declared in the document filed Nov. 6.

While Wirken argued that the Condits owe money for the cost of getting them served with legal documents — a task undertaken by deputy marshals after earlier efforts failed — Chad Condit insisted the family members "had no idea" service was being attempted.

Wirken disputed the plea of ignorance.

"Although the Condits' homes appeared to be occupied, and on one occasion noise could be heard inside one of the homes, no one inside would ever open the door or otherwise respond," Wirken stated in a declaration, adding that "over a period of one month 10 more attempts were made at different times of day."

Wirken subsequently turned to the deputy marshals, who succeeded after several tries.

Chad Condit complained that Baskin-Robbins ignored efforts to settle the legal dispute, and he argued that Wirken didn't deserve as much as he was asking for because Judge Carroll had rejected some of Baskin-Robbins' claims. Wirken, in turn, contends the costs escalated in part because of frivolous Condit family legal maneuvering.

Carroll has set a Dec. 7 hearing to consider the arguments for and against the attorneys fees.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Will arrest in Chandra Levy case give Gary Condit a new start?

March 03, 2009 03:50 PM

national

Baskin-Robbins found it hard to get scoop on Gary Condit

January 05, 2009 07:22 AM

national

Another legal setback for Gary Condit in his long descent

November 21, 2008 04:55 PM

politics-government

Ex-Rep. Condit loses a Chandra Levy defamation case

July 08, 2008 03:44 PM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service