Kentucky Supreme Court halts executions | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Kentucky Supreme Court halts executions

Jack Brammer - The Lexington Herald-Leader

November 25, 2009 12:46 PM

FRANKFORT — Kentucky may not execute anyone until it adopts regulations in compliance with the law, the Kentucky Supreme Court ruled Wednesday.

The court ruling came in the case of three Death Row inmates — Thomas C. Bowling, Ralph Baze and Brian Keith Moore — who were challenging the state's lethal injection protocol.

In its 35-page ruling, the court said the state Department of Corrections must follow state-mandated administrative procedures before adopting the current lethal injection process of a three-drug cocktail.

It also said the state should have held public hearings on the process.

Bowling was convicted and sentenced to death for the 1990 murders of a husband and wife as they were parked in their car outside their dry cleaning business in Lexington.

Baze was convicted and sentenced to death for the 1992 murders of two police officers who were attempting to serve five fugitive warrants on him in Powell County.

Earlier this week, Attorney General Jack Conway asked Gov. Steve Beshear to set an execution date for Baze and two other men on Death Row.

To read the complete article, visit www.kentucky.com.

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service