Cop charged with sex assaults had troubled background | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Cop charged with sex assaults had troubled background

Christopher D. Kirkpatrick - Charlotte Observer

January 18, 2010 04:14 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The hiring of police officer Marcus Jackson, who is accused of sexually assaulting five female motorists, has revealed flaws in how the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department screens officer candidates.

Police in charge of evaluating Jackson's background missed several red flags that likely would have disqualified him from joining the force, says Deputy Chief Ken Miller. One flag was a 2005 civil restraining order that alleged Jackson had hit and slapped his girlfriend.

The department failed, in part, because police mistakenly believed the criminal background checks they performed also revealed civil restraining orders from a job candidate's past, Miller says. So police were not taking crucial steps necessary to uncover allegations of domestic violence filed only in civil courts.

Jackson's hire raises questions about how thoroughly the department vets officers and how vigorously it looks for domestic violence - which can reveal anger issues and other personal problems about a candidate.

"It's just something they're not paying attention to," says Mike Sexton, a spokesman for the Mecklenburg County Women's Commission.

Police Chief Rodney Monroe called Jackson's screening "not very efficient work."

Deputy Chief Miller says he believes it's rare for a candidate with Jackson's history to get through the department's screening, which involves interviews, reference checks, a polygraph exam and a variety of physical, academic and psychological tests.

The department, which evaluates on average 120 to 150 candidates a year, also checks credit and looks for civil default judgments and lawsuits that might shed light on a candidate's character.

But there were other problems in the spring of 2008 with Jackson's employment screening:

Jackson told police about a 2003 allegation of domestic violence against him, but recruiters never pulled the complaint, Miller says. It alleges that Jackson, then 19, threatened his 15-year-old girlfriend and tried to hit her with a car. Miller says the screeners should have read and evaluated the complaint.

Screeners failed to contact police at UNC Charlotte, where Jackson had previously lived while attending classes, Miller said. If they had, they might have discovered a 2005 assault charge filed against Jackson. UNCC did not respond last week to a request for a copy of that record. But Miller says recruiters are expected to contact primary police agencies where candidates have previously lived.

"We should have checked," Miller says. "That's why I feel like we came up short."

The department is now exploring how to shore up its screening process, Miller says. One key focus, he says, is finding a way to reliably dig out domestic violence complaints and restraining orders that are recorded only in civil court files.

Every CMPD recruiter and supervisor involved in evaluating Jackson recommended that the department hire him, Miller says.

Jackson, now 26, was offered a place in the police academy in May 2008, a month before Chief Monroe arrived in Charlotte. The two took some classes together, as Monroe sought his N.C. police certification. And Jackson went on patrol in east Charlotte's Eastway Division in May 2009.

Six months later, the allegations began rolling in.

At least five women now say Jackson sexually assaulted them during traffic stops. Among them was a 17-year-old girl who reported that Jackson forced her to perform a sex act, police say. He was arrested and fired on Dec. 30 and is now in jail under a $423,000 bond.

The FBI has joined the investigation and is trying to determine if Jackson should be charged with civil rights violations.

Read the full story at CharlotteObserver.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

crime

Police charge fellow officer with assaulting women in patrol car

December 31, 2009 06:57 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service