The new DUI? Distracted driving cases get more serious | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

The new DUI? Distracted driving cases get more serious

John Monk - The State

January 24, 2010 06:45 PM

A driver allegedly talking on a cell phone when she killed two bicyclists in South Carolina has quietly agreed to pay $2.5 million to settle a lawsuit over one of the deaths, according to court documents.

And a jury trial in the death of the second bicyclist is to start this week in federal court in Columbia.

The case embodies the rising anxiety over people's use of cell phones and texting devices while driving.

And the stakes are high.

The driver, Sharon King, whose Chrysler Pacifica killed two bicyclists in October 2007, still has $55 million in insurance that can be paid for actual and punitive damages to the estate of dead bicyclist Thomas Hoskins, 49, of Columbia.

Last week, King, 36, pleaded guilty in Lancaster County to the criminal charge of reckless driving in the deaths of Hoskins and Lee Ann Barry, 43, of Waxhaw, N.C.

Barry and Hoskins were expert cyclists riding in a charity event to promote bicycle safety.

Barry's estate settled its civil suit in state court for $2.5 million. Now, what remains to be decided in both deaths is how much money a jury should award Hoskins' estate.

The trial is to start Wednesday — the same day the S.C. House of Representatives will hold a hearing on a bill that would ban both hand-held cell phone talking and texting by drivers.

Under that bill, talking or texting while driving would be a misdemeanor punished by a maximum $100 fine. Motorists could legally use a cell phone if they had a hands-free device.

"Our bill is on the fast track," said Transportation subcommittee chairman Rep. Don Smith, R-Aiken, the bill's chief sponsor. The bill also is sponsored by Rep. Phil Owens, R-Pickens, chairman of the committee overseeing Smith's subcommittee.

Increasingly, Smith said, constituents are asking when lawmakers will limit drivers' cell phone use.

Cell phone driving "is the new DUI," argued lawyer Dick Harpootlian in pretrial arguments in the bicycle case last week. He represents Hoskins' estate.

Across the country, other states are passing laws to restrict drivers' cell phone use. Businesses and governments limit cell phone use while driving.

Scientific evidence is mounting that talking or texting while driving can be a deadly distraction - far more so than talking to a live passenger in a car or even eating. Research shows cell phone use during driving uses the portions of the brain devoted to controlling visual, thinking and physical processes. All of that must compete with driving.

So far, 19 states have banned texting while driving. Six states and the District of Columbia require the use of hands-free devices if motorists talk on cell phones while driving.

"Texting while driving is definitely an idiotic thing," said Barbara Harsha, executive director of the Governors Highway Safety Administration.

No one knows how many people are killed each year by motorists distracted by cell phones, in part because many surviving motorists deny being on the cell phone, Harsha said.

Even businesses in the cell phone industry, such as Apple Computers, now warn people who buy cell phones that using them while driving is dangerous.

Already, some chiefs of South Carolina law agencies are speaking out.

Using a cell phone while driving is dangerous, said Mark Keel, director of the S.C. Department of Public Safety, which includes the Highway Patrol.

"I'm generally supportive of the General Assembly doing something to limit cell phone use for drivers," said Keel.

"I was going to Gaffney the other night," he said recently. "A young woman passed me going 80 mph. She had both hands up around her steering wheel while texting. I guess she was driving with her knees."

Some studies show drivers who text even have slower reaction times than drunken drivers, Keel said. "It's a problem."

Other studies show talking on a cell phone — whether handheld or wireless — is dangerous but less dangerous than texting.

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said he supports a law to make texting while driving a violation.

"You take your eyes off the road when you text," Lott said.

About six years ago, Lott said, one of his deputies coming back from a Myrtle Beach training session reached for a cell phone while driving through Marion County, ran a stop light and killed a woman. Richland County's insurance carrier wound up paying about $600,000 to settle the case, Lott recalled.

"We were clearly at fault," Lott said, "and what you do when you're wrong is admit it and try to make things right from then on. So we started to institute procedures to restrict cell phone use. I hope the General Assembly can learn from what happened to us and do something before more people die. We know how serious this is."

Lott's department now bans personal cell phone use by deputies while driving and sharply limits official cell phone calls while driving.

Read more at TheState.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

crime

After crashing three cars, time to hang up and drive?

January 24, 2010 06:30 PM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service