Manslaughter charges for man who let 11-year-old drive | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Manslaughter charges for man who let 11-year-old drive

Jim Guy - Fresno Bee

February 09, 2010 05:33 PM

FRESNO, Calif. — A 34-year-old man faces manslaughter charges in the death of three people who died in the crash of a car driven by an 11-year-old last month near Woodville.

Froylan Zamora Gonzalez was arrested Monday night immediately after his release from Community Regional Medical Center in Fresno, where he was treated for injuries he suffered in the Jan. 11 crash. He was booked on suspicion of three counts of vehicular manslaughter and two counts of child endangerment.

Jose Silva Covarrubias, 11, was driving a 1993 Honda when he failed to stop at a stop sign and the Honda was broadsided by a car driven by Charles Seguin, 44, of Porterville. The crash killed Jose, his sister, Elizabeth Silva Covarrubias, 6, and their mother, Maria Silva Covarrubias, 30. Gonzalez suffered major injuries.

Jose's aunt, Brenda Silva, said last month that the boy was probably getting a driving lesson from Gonzalez because there was "no other reason for him to be behind the wheel." She said she had seen Jose driving a car once before, but other relatives told her that the 11-year-old had driven several times before. She said she had mixed emotions of grief over losing three relatives and anger that Maria Silva Covarrubias allowed the driving lesson.

The four were returning to their Woodville home from soccer practice for the two children when the crash occurred.

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service