Tale of two Calvins: One keeps going to jail for other's offenses | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Tale of two Calvins: One keeps going to jail for other's offenses

Cynthia Hubert - Sacramento Bee

March 19, 2010 08:30 AM

Calvin Ward is nearly 6 feet tall and African American. Calvin Phillips, according to records, is about 4 inches shorter and Caucasian.

But Sacramento County seems to think the two Calvins are the same person, and that has become a major problem for Ward.

Twice last year, Ward was wrongly jailed under the name Calvin Phillips, and as a result his modest upholstering business has been decimated, he claims in a civil rights lawsuit.

The suit was filed in Sacramento Superior Court by the law firm led by civil rights attorney Stewart Katz. It names as defendants the county court and Sheriff's Department, the city Police Department, and several city and county law enforcement officers.

According to the suit, Ward's problems began in June, when city police arrested him for riding a bicycle under the influence of alcohol. At the county jail, Ward pointed out that his paperwork erroneously identified him as Calvin Phillips, even though he had presented a driver's license that listed his true name. Deputies "ignored his protestations," the suit says, and he spent two days in jail.

In July, he appeared in court and found that no charges had been filed against him in the matter, according to the complaint. But he was arrested again, on allegations that he had violated probation in another case. Deputies handcuffed him and took him to jail under the name Calvin Phillips.

Ward remained in jail for an additional three days, after which a judge recognized the case of mistaken identity and ordered him released. By that time, the suit alleges, Ward's upholstery business was in shambles, as he had missed appointments with a major client who then dropped him and refused to recommend him to others.

Ward has no criminal record, only a misdemeanor and a traffic offense, both of which occurred years ago, records show.

In an interview with The Bee, Ward, 59, said he is trying to rebuild his business but has had to take temporary jobs to pay bills. He applied for a position with the U.S. Census, he said, but was rejected when his alter ego's name popped up during a background check. He said he now is getting bills intended for Phillips from the county revenue department.

"I'm worried that this thing could follow me for the rest of my life," he said.

Guy Danilowitz, Ward's attorney, said he is uncertain how authorities confused his client with Phillips. Ward said he has never met Phillips, never used his name as an alias. The Bee's efforts to contact Phillips were unsuccessful.

A check of criminal records by The Bee earlier this week confirmed that the county was still linking the two men, nearly a year after Ward's initial arrest and despite various attempts to correct the problem. But after a reporter's inquiries on Wednesday, the information was corrected.

Nevertheless, Ward has suffered major repercussions and the lawsuit will continue, said Danilowitz.

The government has yet to respond to the complaint, said Danilowitz; city and county officials did not return calls from The Bee.

Read the full story at the Sacramento Bee.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

crime

Serial rapist also unnerving black men in K.C. neighborhood

February 26, 2010 06:57 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service