Family sues after ex-deputy dies in jail scuffle | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Family sues after ex-deputy dies in jail scuffle

Rosalio Ahumada - Modesto Bee

April 08, 2010 09:46 AM

The family of a former sheriff's deputy who died after a struggle with jailers at the Stanislaus County Jail last year filed a civil lawsuit against the county and its sheriff in federal court this week, seeking $10 million in damages.

On April 11, 2009, jailers used Tasers and pepper spray to subdue Craig Prescott, 38, of Modesto during an altercation as jailers tried to move him to a safety cell. Prescott was taken to a Modesto hospital, where he was pronounced dead two days later.

In October, a district attorney's office investigation found that the jail deputies were not responsible for Prescott's death. That report described a struggle during which deputies shot Prescott with Tasers multiple times and used a pepper-ball gun as well.

The Stanislaus County coroner's office determined Prescott died of hypertensive heart disease.

In November, Prescott's family released an independent autopsy that concluded deputies suffocated Prescott in their attempts to subdue him.

The family's civil lawsuit claims Sheriff Adam Christianson, the jail officials involved in the altercation and the county violated Prescott's civil rights and are responsible for his wrongful death.

Christianson has said jail officials followed department guidelines in trying to restrain and move Prescott. He did not return a phone call for comment about the civil lawsuit Wednesday evening.

The lawsuit also names California Forensic Medical Group Inc. as a defendant. It had provided health care for Stanislaus County jail inmates for more than 20 years until April 28, 2009, when the county Board of Supervisors approved a winning bid from Correct Care Solutions to provide inmate health care.

Oakland-based attorneys John Burris and Steven Yourke, representing Prescott's family, filed the lawsuit Tuesday in federal court in Fresno. The lawsuit was filed on behalf of Prescott's wife, Rachel Prescott, their children and his mother, Marilyn Prescott.

The lawsuit claims the defendants "acted with malice, oppression and deliberate and reckless disregard for Plaintiffs' civil rights and personal safety."

The lawsuit further alleges that jail personnel used excessive and unreasonable force against Prescott, and he was not provided with adequate medical and psychiatric care while he was in jail.

Prescott supervised inmates at the downtown Modesto jail for nine years until he was fired in April 2006 after authorities accused him of promising to supply tobacco to an inmate. Those charges were dismissed, according to court records.

Prescott was booked at the downtown Modesto jail April 7, 2009, on suspicion of stalking and making threats against his wife. She has said the family was hoping to get him mental health treatment after he started exhibiting disturbing behavior.

Read the full story at the Modesto Bee.

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service