Pot search gone sour turns to murder, police say | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Pot search gone sour turns to murder, police say

Kim Minugh - Sacramento Bee

April 23, 2010 08:57 AM

Police announced Thursday the arrests of two young men in connection with the killing last month of a Natomas High School football coach looking to give back to the community that raised him.

Police also shed more light on the circumstances surrounding the March 26 home-invasion robbery during which 26-year-old Salvador Heredia-Arriaga was shot: The suspects likely had been after marijuana or money from its sale when the holdup went wrong.

It is another violent crime in which marijuana has been found at the center – and it has law enforcement officers again sounding alarms about what many have argued is among the more harmless drugs to consume.

"You have to look at it as a commodity," said Sacramento Police Sgt. Norm Leong. "No matter how legalized it is … you're still going to have crimes related to marijuana."

Accused in Heredia-Arriaga's death are 20-year-old Maurice Reed Jr. of Union City and a 17-year-old boy who has not been identified because he is a juvenile. Both were arrested Wednesday on suspicion of murder and robbery, Leong said.

Detectives believe that Reed and the teen had targeted the apartment on River Plaza Drive in South Natomas because it was known for ongoing marijuana deals, Leong said.

Things turned deadly, though, when Heredia-Arriaga showed up to visit friends and startled the suspects, Leong said. He was the only one shot.

"The residents were confronted by the armed men and were cooperative right away. There was no surprise there," Leong said. "When Heredia-Arriaga walked in, it was a surprise. It was an element (the suspects) had not planned for."

It was the second fatal home-invasion robbery potentially involving marijuana in six months in the city of Sacramento.

In October, two men broke into a home on Maccan Court in Meadowview in south Sacramento and killed 24-year-old Michael Thames, leaving a woman and a child untouched.

Thames was growing medicinal marijuana in the home, though police are not sure whether that was the motivation for the robbery because no plants were taken.

But local law enforcement officers say similar but non-fatal home-invasion robberies – where intruders appear to be after pot or cash associated with it – occur with much greater frequency.

"Unequivocally, the vast majority (of home invasions) are weed rips," said Sacramento County Sheriff's Sgt. Tim Curran.

He said the department's robbery detectives estimated that 50 to 75 percent of home-invasion robberies in the unincorporated county – there were 92 in 2009 – can be traced back to pot.

Leong said there have been 30 home invasions in the city so far this year. Six of them involved marijuana, and two others involved unspecified drugs, he said.

Read the full story at the Sacramento Bee.

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service