Federal judge calls Guantanamo inmate's detention 'unlawful' | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Federal judge calls Guantanamo inmate's detention 'unlawful'

Michael Doyle - McClatchy Newspapers

June 10, 2010 03:08 PM

WASHINGTON — A federal judge has forcefully put Yemeni citizen Mohammed Mohammed Hassan Odaini on the path to freedom after eight years of incarceration at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

In a 36-page opinion formally released Thursday, U.S. District Judge Henry H. Kennedy Jr. called Odaini's continued detention "unlawful" and said he'd "emphatically" grant Odaini's petition for a writ of habeas corpus.

The ruling issued secretly last month but published Thursday sets the 26-year-old Odaini up for potential release, though when and where he'll go remains unclear. The ruling also represents the latest defeat for U.S. officials in their efforts to keep Guantanamo detainees behind bars.

"(U.S.) officials kept a young man from Yemen in detention in Cuba from age eighteen to age twenty-six," Kennedy wrote. "They have prevented him from seeing his family and denied him the opportunity to complete his studies and embark on a career."

Pointedly, Kennedy added that "the evidence before the court shows that holding Odaini in custody at such great cost to him has done nothing to make the United States more secure."

Kennedy's ruling brings to 36 the number of Guantanamo Bay detainees who have successfully challenged their detentions through U.S. court proceedings. Over the Bush administration's objections, a divided Supreme Court two years granted the Guantanamo detainees the right to file habeas corpus challenges.

In a decision striking both for its extensive redactions and its occasionally passionate language, Kennedy noted that Odaini's story has remained consistent throughout his long incarceration.

Odaini was born in Taiz, Yemen, on Sept. 20, 1983. After high school, he traveled to Pakistan in 2001 to study Islam. In November 2001, he enrolled in Salafia University, where he was one of approximately 200 students.

On March 27, 2002, Odaini had the misfortune to visit a house raided that night by Pakistani police. After his initial detention, Odaini was held in Lahore and then taken to Islamabad. He was transported to Afghanistan, and ultimately to Guantanamo.

Odaini has always denied being affiliated with al Qaeda, insisting that the first time he heard of the terrorist organization was when he arrived at Guantanamo. Interrogators came to believe him.

"He was told shortly after being taken into custody and upon arrival at Guantanamo Bay that he would be released within two weeks," Kennedy noted.

By 2004, a Pentagon official had concluded Odaini could be cleared for release, and a task force evaluating Guantanamo detainees likewise concluded "there is no information to confirm Taliban or al Qaeda ties on his part." Each of the men who identified Odaini stated that he was, as he asserts, a student, Kennedy noted.

More time passed, and in 2007 Odaini's pro bono attorney was advised that his client had been approved for release.

"Needless to say," Kennedy wrote acerbically, "Odaini was not released from Guantanamo Bay."

In January, following an attempted Christmas Day airliner attack that U.S. officials believe originated in Yemen, the Obama administration declared that no Guantanamo detainee would be released there.

Three other men captured in the same March 2002 raid as Odaini previously have been ordered released.

Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd said Thursday that officials were still reviewing the full opinion.

ON THE WEB

Read Judge Kennedy's opinion

Information on Odaini's case

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Judge orders Yemeni detainee released in latest Guantanamo habeas decision

Court: Bagram prisoners don't have Guantanamo habeas rights

Change you can believe in? Secrecy still veils Guantanamo hearings

Guantanamo detainees find island homes — this time it may the Maldives

Russian dancer ordered freed in Guantanamo habeas case

Follow the latest politics news at McClatchy's Planet Washington

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Judge orders Yemeni detainee released in latest Guantanamo habeas decision

May 26, 2010 05:25 PM

world

Court: Bagram prisoners don't have Guantanamo habeas rights

May 21, 2010 12:48 PM

world

Change you can believe in? Secrecy still veils Guantanamo hearings

May 17, 2010 12:46 PM

world

Russian dancer ordered freed in Guantanamo habeas case

May 14, 2010 07:48 AM

world

Pentagon bans McClatchy reporter from Guantanamo hearings

May 06, 2010 08:59 PM

world

News outlets appeal Pentagon's ban on Guantanamo coverage

May 13, 2010 12:27 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service