Soldier who blew whistle on Afghan killings moved for his safety | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Soldier who blew whistle on Afghan killings moved for his safety

Matt Misterek - Tacoma News Tribune

October 05, 2010 07:49 PM

TACOMA, Wash. — One of the five Joint Base-Lewis McChord soldiers accused of killing civilians in Afghanistan has been placed in solitary confinement for his own protection, according to a CNN report.

Spc. Adam Winfield, 21, became a whistle-blower in the case when he told Army investigators that he alerted his father about the crimes being committed by his Stryker brigade squad early this year and also shared with him that he feared for his own life.

Winfield's father tried and failed to get the military to do something, apparently before the May killing in which Winfield allegedly played a role. The Army confirmed to The News Tribune last week that Christopher Winfield did talk to someone at Lewis-McChord on a general phone line in February, and said the incident is being investigated.

An Army spokeswoman would not tell CNN about the conditions under which the five defendants are being held, including whether they are able to communicate with each another.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Afghan war crimes case reopens scrutiny of Iraq killings

September 30, 2010 08:56 PM

world

Alaska soldier's drug use an issue in war crimes hearing

September 26, 2010 06:34 PM

world

U.S. soldiers face murder charges in deaths of Afghan civilians

August 25, 2010 10:55 AM

crime

Prosecutors: Soldier was 'eager participant' in Afghan killings

September 28, 2010 07:36 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service