Former California congressman Gary Condit could testify at Levy trial | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Former California congressman Gary Condit could testify at Levy trial

Michael Doyle - McClatchy Newspapers

October 19, 2010 06:53 PM

WASHINGTON — Former California congressman Gary Condit would draw an avid crowd at Chandra Levy's murder trial, but his testimonial weight is uncertain.

Several times since Levy's 2001 disappearance, Condit has gone under oath. Skeptical attorneys have come away frustrated as he has resisted queries he deems too personal, the very kind people most want answered.

"A lot of the time today has been wasted, and I believe that's due to (Condit's) extended unresponsive answers," attorney Paul LiCalsi declared at the end of a day-long deposition in September 2004.

Now, Condit could face his most intrusive questioning in years. This week, prosecutors identified him as one of about 50 individuals who might be summoned to testify, or whose name might pop up, in the trial of accused killer Ingmar Guandique.

No other individual associated with Condit's 30-year-long political career was named as a potential witness. So far, moreover, assistant U.S. attorneys Amanda Haines and Fernando Campoamor-Sanchez are mum about the timing and reasons for a potential Condit appearance -- as well as its actual likelihood.

Mentioning his name is certainly a tactical call by prosecutors. One theory is that it recognizes Condit's outsized role in the long-running Chandra Levy narrative.

"Condit is like the big elephant in the room," Loyola University Law School professor, and former prosecutor, Laurie Levenson said Tuesday. "If I were the prosecution, I would want to dispel any idea that he might be the killer."

At the least, Levenson added, adding Condit to the potential witness list keeps prosecutors' trial options open. Former U.S. Attorney Kenneth Wainstein noted Tuesday that "it's the attorneys' obligation to make sure that any names that might come up in a trial" are mentioned to potential jurors.

LiCalsi offered yet another theory, suggesting prosecutors might be floating Condit's name as "a fake to get the defense to waste precious preparation time."

Still, Los Angeles attorney Bert Fields, who said he has "advised Mr. Condit from time to time over a period of years," said he expects the former San Joaquin Valley lawmaker to be called as a witness.

"(If called), he will testify and cooperate fully, as he has from the beginning," Fields said in an e-mail.

Fields is at least the eighth attorney to assist Condit or his wife in various matters since 2001; all related, one way or another, to Levy's disappearance and its aftermath.

The 24-year-old Levy disappeared May 1, 2001. Prosecutors charge Guandique with killing the former Modesto resident during an attempted sexual assault in Washington's Rock Creek Park.

Jury selection began Monday in Guandique's trial.

Levy's 2001 disappearance led to revelations about her relationship with Condit. He subsequently lost his House seat, and filed a number of defamation lawsuits against tabloid newspapers and others. Twice, he was placed under oath for depositions that did not always prove fruitful.

"He was instructed by his attorney not to answer virtually every question, based on the Fifth Amendment," Denver-based attorney Thomas B. Kelley recalled Tuesday, adding that "it's uncommon to have a (former) congressman take the Fifth, but that was the advice of his counsel."

Kelley was representing the National Enquirer, sued by Condit's wife Carolyn. The $10 million lawsuit was settled out of court in 2003.

The next year, Condit submitted to a deposition as part of a defamation suit filed against the late author Dominick Dunne. Condit declined during the deposition to offer specifics about his ties to Levy, besides saying "it wasn't a romantic relationship."

"I think romantic is a very non-descriptive term," Condit added. "Some people think some things are romantic, some people think they're not romantic. But I saw no romance in our friendship."

LiCalsi called Condit "one of the worst witnesses I've ever seen," and a judge subsequently ordered Condit to answer intimately detailed questions. Several hours before that second deposition was to take place, Condit and Dunne settled their case.

Separately, Condit was summoned to appear at least once before a federal grand jury. The details of his degree of cooperation remain officially secret.

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service