Florida jeweler sentenced for Ponzi scheme | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Florida jeweler sentenced for Ponzi scheme

Laura Isensee - Miami Herald

December 02, 2010 01:09 PM

A Hialeah jeweler accused in a multimillion dollar Ponzi scheme and bank fraud conspiracy faces a 10-year prison sentence for his crimes.

Luis Felipe Perez, 38, also known as ``Felipito'' must serve behind bars for 121 months and pay over $10 million in restitution, said U.S. District Judge Paul Huck at a hearing in federal court in Miami on Thursday.

``This was not one of those one time, off the cuff thefts,'' Huck said at the sentencing. ``It was done over many years.''

Earlier this year, Perez was accused in a $40 million Ponzi scheme and a $12 million bank fraud conspiracy. In September, he pleaded guilty in both cases.

According to authorities, the two schemes are intertwined, with some investors getting bank loans with fraudulent information and then investing the bank money with Perez.

Conspiracy to commit bank fraud carries a maximum penalty of 30 years; the charge of securities fraud has a maximum penalty of 20 years.

Read the complete story at miamiherald.com

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service