Case of 'boy assassin' shocks Mexico | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Case of 'boy assassin' shocks Mexico

Tim Johnson - McClatchy Newspapers

December 03, 2010 06:48 PM

MEXICO CITY — In a case that's shocked Mexicans, a 14-year-old youth told journalists Friday that he's a highly sought "boy assassin" who guns down and beheads people for a drug gang.

Soldiers arrested the boy, Edgar Jimenez Lugo, on Thursday night as he prepared to board a flight from Cuernavaca, a tourist destination south of the capital, to Tijuana, where he planned to cross the border to his mother's residence in the San Diego area.

The case highlights concern about the falling ages of foot soldiers in Mexico's ongoing drug violence, which has left more than 30,000 people dead since late 2006. The youth said he'd been killing already for three years.

News reports said Jimenez was a U.S. citizen, although U.S. Embassy spokesman Alex Featherstone said, "We have not confirmed this boy's citizenship."

Security agents had been hunting for Jimenez since late October, when a video was posted on the Internet of the boy, sporting a mop of frizzy hair, holding an AK-47 assault weapon and posing with other gang members. One image showed Jimenez with an apparent victim whose eyes and mouth were taped shut.

On the video, Jimenez casually says that he didn't care whether he and his fellow gunmen got the right targets, just as long as they killed someone.

"When we don't find the rivals, we kill innocent people — maybe a taxi driver or a construction worker — so that we can get paid," Jimenez said, adding that he earned $3,000 per hit. He said he'd personally killed four people.

Mexican journalists who were present when soldiers turned the youth over to prosecutors in Morelos state Friday morning peppered the boy with questions. He said that the headless corpses of his gang's victims were strung up from an overpass on a main highway leading to the capital.

"Why did you kill them?" a reporter asked, according to a transcript on the website of the respected newspaper El Universal.

" 'El Negro' ordered me to. I got high on weed and didn't know what I was doing," Jimenez responded.

"Why did you get into this?"

"I didn't get into it. They pulled me in," the boy responded.

"Are you sorry you did?"

"Yes, I'm sorry I got involved with all this," he responded.

Arrested with Jimenez were two older sisters, and news reports said that one of them, 19-year-old Elizabeth, was a lover of Hector Beltran Leyva, the leader of a splinter faction of the powerful Sinaloa Cartel that operates out of Morelos state.

News reports said the elder sister led a gang called Las Chavelas that took slain rivals of the Beltran Leyva group and dumped them on city streets.

In a later video interrogation of Jimenez, the boy said he'd been involved with drug traffickers since age 11.

President Felipe Calderon has pointed to the ever-younger ages of gunmen for the drug syndicates, especially in the northeastern border region, as a sign that cartels are facing problems recruiting foot soldiers.

Yet Mexico has an estimated 7 million young people who neither can find jobs nor attend school, and many of them are tempted by easy money or motivated to join gangs out of anger over the killing of a friend or a parent.

"We count some 20,000 orphans who have the choice of either being forgotten about or looking for some activity to help them survive," sociologist Luis Gomez Sanchez told the Milenio television network. "These youngsters are cannon fodder for drug traffickers and their illegal activities."

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Mexico drug gang's offer to disband: Is it for real?

Mexico finds killing drug kingpins can add to mayhem

Why are beheadings so popular with Mexico's drug gangs?

Check out this McClatchy blog: Mexico Unmasked

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

U.S. frets anti-drug cooperation with Mexico won't last

May 12, 2010 04:40 PM

world

Mexico's drug war leaves marijuana growers to thrive

September 02, 2010 03:55 PM

crime

Mexico seizes 'La Barbie,' drug lord famed for beheadings

August 30, 2010 10:03 PM

world

Mexico rethinks drug strategy as death toll soars

August 12, 2010 02:39 PM

world

Overrun by narcos, once-posh Acapulco is in agony

October 19, 2010 03:39 PM

crime

Mexico finds killing drug kingpins can add to mayhem

November 09, 2010 07:07 PM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service