Search warrants outline Zahra Baker's grisly killing | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Search warrants outline Zahra Baker's grisly killing

By Cleve R. Wootson Jr., Gary L. Wright and Franco Ordoñez - Charlotte Observer

January 04, 2011 04:51 PM

Documents released in court Tuesday shed more light on the case of Zahra Baker, a 10-year-old cancer survivor from Australia who investigators believe was killed and dismembered in Hickory, N.C.

Search warrant documents from the three-month old investigation were released from the Catawba County courthouse. The new documents show:

_ Zahra Baker died on Sept. 24 and her body was disposed of the next day, Zahra's stepmother, Elisa, told investigators, according to the court documents.

_ Elisa Baker accused Zahra's father, Adam, of dismembering the girl's body, according to the documents, which say the couple then disposed of the body parts in several locations, including Christie Road in Hudson and Dudley Shoals Road in Granite Falls.

_ Police used cell phone records to corroborate or refute statements made by Elisa Baker. The records show that Adam Baker's cell phone wasn't at the locations where Elisa Baker says the couple disposed of Zahra's body. But the records show Elisa Baker's cell phone was at the places she described.

_ The documents shed light on Elisa Baker's ongoing relationship with her ex-husband, Aaron Young, who is from the Hickory area. Elisa Baker was married to Adam Baker before she was divorced from Young, according to the documents. The records say Elisa Baker told Adam Baker that Aaron Young was her brother.

Investigators say Elisa Baker and Aaron Young have been in contact with each even though they were estranged, and officers were trying to get his telephone records.

"Obtaining Aaron Young's telephone records or telephone number . . . will likely provide information substantially related to this homicide investigation," according to the court documents.

_ Department of Social Service agencies conducted numerous investigations into abuse allegations by Elisa Baker going back as far as 1999, according to the documents. Investigators were seeking DSS records from eight counties around Hickory regarding Elisa Baker and her biological children.

_ In July 2010, a report was made with the Caldwell County DSS and then transferred to the Catawba County DSS because allegations were made that Elisa Baker had been physically abusing Zahra Baker, the court documents say. According the allegations, Zahra had a black eye. Tuesday's release was the second significant disclosure of search warrants in the Baker case.

Similar search warrant documents released in November show an unnamed source reported to police that the girl may have been raped by two men and that they may have physically assaulted her. At least one of the men was acquainted with Zahra's stepmother, Elisa. But both men denied the allegations and police haven't charged them.

The previous documents also outlined statements from Elisa Baker describing how Zahra's body was dismembered, placed in trash bags, and discarded in dumpsters and rural locations in Caldwell. They also detailed how Elisa Baker accompanied police to various locations where Zahra's body was discarded.

No one has been charged in connection with her death.

Zahra was hearing-impaired and walked with the help of a prosthesis after losing her left leg to cancer. Her father Adam reported missing on Oct 9.

Read more of this story at CharlotteObserver.com

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service