Key evidence in Stryker war crimes case remains secret | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Key evidence in Stryker war crimes case remains secret

Adam Ashton - Tacoma News Tribune

January 16, 2011 11:16 AM

TACOMA, Wash. — From video-taped confessions to written sworn statements to voluminous investigative reports, little information has remained concealed as the Army held hearings at Joint Base Lewis-McChord for 12 Stryker soldiers accused of war crimes and misconduct in Afghanistan.

Yet a few documents and images are under wraps as legal proceedings unfold for the soldiers in the 5th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division. Five of the men are accused of murdering three civilians last year, crimes that drew international headlines about an Army “kill team” slaughtering Afghans for fun.

The restricted documents and images include:

About 60 images of Afghan casualties that were seized from some of the defendants. Some images reportedly show soldiers posing with dead Afghans as if the dead were hunting trophies, according to testimony in court.

Official service photos of Staff Sgt. Calvin Gibbs and Staff Sgt. Robert Stevens. Gibbs is charged with all three murders and is awaiting a court-martial. Stevens pleaded guilty last month to shooting at unarmed Afghans and lying about the incident.

An investigation into Gibbs’ conduct on his two previous deployments to Iraq. The Army Criminal Investigation Command launched the review amid complaints that Gibbs was involved in suspicious killings prior to his deployment in Afghanistan. Criminal Investigation Command spokesman Christopher Grey said the review is not complete, and will not be released out of concern that it could impact the case.

Pretrial agreements signed by Stevens and Spc. Emmitt Quintal that limit their time in prison and require them to testify to certain facts at upcoming hearings. The News Tribune submitted a Freedom of Information Act request for Stevens’ agreement. It was rejected on the grounds that the Army is still investigating the suspected war crimes.

Outside observers say it’s in the Army’s interest to release the information so that the public understands the accused soldiers receive fair hearings.

“Transparency is critical to the public confidence in the administration of justice,” said Eugene Fidell, president of the National Institute for Military Justice. His organization has supported an appeal to release the casualty photos.

“It’s a self-inflicted wound when the military attempts to transact justice behind a veil,” Fidell said.

The Army counters that its investigation into suspected war crimes is not complete and it will not disclose documents in the case until then.

Nearly all of the statements and reports that have appeared in the media were leaked by defense attorneys who wanted to shape the public’s perception of their clients.

The push-and-pull reflects differences in how military courts operate compared with their civilian counterparts.

Read the full story at thenewstribune.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Stryker brigade soldiers allegedly kept 'trophy' body parts

September 09, 2010 12:54 PM

crime

Army striking deals for testimony against Stryker squad leader

December 12, 2010 10:36 AM

crime

Stryker Afghan war crimes probe now looking at officers' role

November 22, 2010 07:48 PM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service