Fifth Stryker soldier in Afghan killing case faces trial | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Fifth Stryker soldier in Afghan killing case faces trial

Adam Ashton - The (Tacoma) News Tribune

February 01, 2011 07:32 AM

The Army will prosecute the fifth and final member of a group of Stryker soldiers who allegedly murdered Afghan civilians during patrols last year, despite an investigation that cited weaknesses in the case against the soldier.

Monday’s announcement is a setback for Spc. Michael Wagnon, 30, who is stationed at Joint Base Lewis-McChord. His family had hoped the Army would dismiss charges against him after an investigating officer reviewed the case in November and reported there was little evidence against him.

That report went to Lt. Gen. Curtis Scaparrotti, the senior general at Lewis-McChord, who determined the Army has enough evidence to proceed with a court-martial.

Wagnon will face charges that he murdered an Afghan civilian during a February patrol, shot at unarmed Afghans in March and participated in conspiracies to harm Afghans. He could be sentenced to life in prison if convicted.

“It’s very disappointing and it flies in the face of the recommendation, evidence and common sense,” said Wagon’s attorney, Colby Vokey.

The Army dismissed two other charges from Wagnon’s case. One alleged that he kept a piece of skull from an Afghan corpse; the other accused him of trying to obstruct the Army’s investigation into his platoon’s misconduct by destroying images of Afghan casualties on his computer.

Vokey debunked both of those charges at a pre-trial hearing in November. Wagnon’s platoon mates said the skull fragment he kept came from a camel.

Wagnon is one of 12 soldiers in the 5th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division accused of misconduct at Forward Operating Base Ramrod in southern Afghanistan last year. Three soldiers in the group have already pleaded guilty to crimes during the deployment and agreed to testify against their codefendants.

To read the complete article, visit www.thenewstribune.com.

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service