Senate probe rips FBI, Pentagon on Fort Hood shootings | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Senate probe rips FBI, Pentagon on Fort Hood shootings

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

February 03, 2011 07:08 PM

WASHINGTON — In the first detailed report on the events leading up to the Nov. 5, 2009, shootings at Fort Hood, Texas, the Senate Homeland Security Committee on Thursday blamed both the Pentagon and the FBI for failing to recognize that Army Maj. Nidal Hasan had links to a key al Qaida operative and had become an Islamic extremist before he allegedly opened fire on fellow soldiers, killing 13 and wounding dozens of others.

The Senate report also warned that neither the FBI nor the Defense Department had taken the steps needed to make certain that the mistakes weren't repeated. It said the FBI was using outdated methods to examine intercepted e-mails, that the post-9/11 system of investigating terrorist threats still discourages the sharing of information, and that the Defense Department hadn't identified radicalization as a potential threat.

In a statement, the FBI said it would study the report and implement changes "as appropriate." It said another study of FBI actions was expected soon from former FBI director William Webster on whether the "corrective actions" the FBI has undertaken are "sufficient."

The Army said it, too, would study the report.

"Our institution is a learning organization and we will continue to make adjustments to improve it," the Army said in a statement.

It was the second report this week that condemned the U.S. Army for failing to recognize clear warnings signs of a troubled soldier that resulted in a major security breach. An internal Army report completed this week found that Army commanders, despite warnings not to, sent Pfc. Bradley Manning to Iraq, where he allegedly downloaded hundreds of thousands of Army reports and diplomatic cables that found their way to the WikiLeaks website. McClatchy first reported on the details of that report last Thursday.

The Senate committee launched its investigation last year out of frustration that the government wouldn't provide it with details of internal investigations into the Fort Hood shootings. While the Pentagon has released a report detailing 47 changes that it had made in response to its own investigation, it hasn't made the investigation itself public.

In a footnote, the Senate committee also complained that government officials had insisted on deleting information from its report. "We take issue with the extent of these redactions . . . but have consented to them in order to produce this report in a timely fashion," the report said.

The report, which was directed by Sens. Susan Collins, R-Maine, and Joseph Lieberman, I-Conn., painted a damning portrait of fumbling on the part of both entities.

Hasan's military supervisors allowed him to continue in the Army, and to be promoted just six months before the Fort Hood shootings, even though his fellow doctors at Walter Reed Hospital in Washington felt he was a "ticking time bomb." His extreme views were clear to his colleagues at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, where he held a fellowship. One of Hasan's assigned classroom presentations so outraged other students that the instructor halted it after just two minutes, the report said.

The FBI did no better, the report found. After the FBI intercepted e-mails between Hasan and an unnamed "Suspected Terrorist," the San Diego Joint Terrorism Task Force requested assistance from its counterpart in Washington, where Hasan was then based. That request sat unfulfilled for three months, however, and then was dismissed after just four hours of investigation, the report said.

Additionally, the report said, the Washington investigator didn't have the necessary computer access to allow him to search FBI databases that would have turned up more information about Hasan's e-mail traffic.

The report doesn't identify the "Suspected Terrorist" by name, but other references in the report make it clear that the suspected terrorist is Anwar al Awlaki, a U.S.-born Yemeni cleric who's been under FBI investigation since Sept. 11, 2001, when FBI agents in San Diego learned he was acquainted with two of the 9/11 hijackers.

The report noted that Awlaki had been tied to at least five cases of suspected domestic terrorism in the four years prior to the Fort Hood shooting, with the last one coming just four months before Hasan allegedly opened fire at Fort Hood. That case was investigated by the FBI's Washington office.

The report said that Hasan was so well known among FBI investigators that one agent tasked with investigating him called another investigator as he watched the shootings unfold on television. "You know who that is?" the report quoted the agent as saying. "That's our boy."

Nearly two years before the shooting, the report said, Hasan had told fellow soldiers that his allegiance to the Quran superseded his oath to defend the Constitution. That was enough to have him dismissed from the Army, the report said, but instead his supervisors gave him positive evaluations, in part because supervisors said they feared charges of discrimination.

Those evaluations proved misleading to the FBI, too, when it conducted its initial investigation into Hasan's e-mails with Awlaki, the report said.

Because of the positive evaluations, the FBI assumed any ties between Awlaki and Hasan were "benign" and that Hasan was doing research for the military.

Once the FBI determined that Hasan wasn't a terrorist, the "ensuing inquiry failed to identify the totality of Hasan's communications and to inform Hasan's military chain of command and Army security officials of the fact that he was communicating with a suspected violent Islamist extremist."

Instead, Hasan was promoted to major and assigned to Fort Hood to provide mental health care to the Army's largest military base. Weeks later, the shootings broke out.

ON THE WEB

Senate Homeland Security report

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

WikiLeaks probe: Army commanders were told not to send Manning to Iraq

Senators disappointed by response to Fort Hood subpoena

Fort Hood shooting probe slams Pentagon policies

Fort Hood shooter was Army psychiatrist who treated stress

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

special-reports

WikiLeaks probe: Army commanders were told not to send Manning to Iraq

January 27, 2011 04:19 PM

national

Pentagon sees lifting 'don't ask' policy by year's end

January 28, 2011 07:05 PM

politics-government

'Don't ask, don't tell' policy was costly, GAO concludes

January 20, 2011 07:10 PM

special-reports

In WikiLeaks fight, U.S. journalists take a pass

January 09, 2011 01:55 PM

national

Suicides soared in 2010 for Army Reserve, National Guard

January 19, 2011 05:57 PM

crime

Tucson shootings reminder of military's role in trauma care

January 14, 2011 06:03 PM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service