State ignored complaints about Philadelphia abortion clinic | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

State ignored complaints about Philadelphia abortion clinic

Amy Worden - McClatchy-Tribune News Service

February 09, 2011 05:57 AM

HARRISBURG, Pa. — Dazed and drugged women giving birth in toilets, a 15-year-old working as an anesthesiologist and freezers leaking blood.

And worst of all, state inspectors who turned a blind eye to it all.

Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams and his staff delivered these details in a searing blow Tuesday against two state agencies charged with protecting the health and welfare of the most vulnerable.

Testifying before a state Senate joint committee meeting, Williams laid out a case of a massive "system failure" by the Departments of State and Health which he said ignored years of complaints and allowed the abortion clinic run by a doctor now charged with murder to operate unchecked for almost two decades.

Williams and his top deputies told the hearing that had any state official followed up on a single piece of the voluminous amount of evidence suggesting wrongdoing, or set foot in the filthy clinic, it would have immediately been shut down.

Kermit Gosnell, whose Women's Medical Society was closed only after federal drug agents raided it last February, along with 10 co-defendants, is charged in the deaths of seven babies and a 41-year-old female patient.

In a 261-page report released last month, a Philadelphia grand jury found that Gosnell routinely severed the spinal cords of near full-term babies born alive. Gosnell is scheduled to appear at a preliminary hearing in Philadelphia on Wednesday.

Prosecutors say the clinic, which served primarily low-income and minority patients on a cash-only basis netted Gosnell at least $1.8 million a year.

Responding to a question from state Sen. Bob Mensch about whether he thought culture played a role in the absence of enforcement, Williams nodded in agreement.

"It would not have gone on so long," said Williams. "If the clinic had been located five miles away in Montgomery County, in the nice suburbs of Philadelphia, someone would have heeded the calls."

When federal agents executed a search warrant at the clinic on Feb. 18 as part of an illegal prescription drug probe, the grim picture of Gosnell's operation became clear. They found a warren of filthy rooms wreaking of cat urine and feces, bloodstained walls and bloody blankets, women "walking around like zombies" and fetal parts in bottles.

"Lack of oversight allowed these horrific conditions to exist," said Williams.

More revelations at the hearing included that some unidentified state officials involved with the case, but who have not been charged with any crime, are billing taxpayers six figures and counting for outside counsel and are no longer cooperating with prosecutors.

Two state Senate committee leaders, horrified at the grisly details of the clinic, said they would convene hearings within weeks before the state's Senate Consumer Protection and Professional Licensure Committee and Public Health and Welfare committees and subpoena, if necessary, former and current state employees.

"All systems failed," said state Sen. Robert Tomlinson, chairman of the Consumer Protection and Professional Licensure Committee, which oversees the state Board of Medicine. "It was total incompetence."

Tomlinson, whose family operates a funeral home in Bensalem, Pa., said he was stunned that the clinic had gone uninspected for 17 years when nail salons and barber shops and his funeral business gets inspected at least once a year.

Ann Ponterio, chief of the homicide unit in the Philadelphia district attorney's office, said state officials who appeared before the grand jury last year were "dismissive" of the allegations against Gosnell and are no longer cooperating in what she described as an ongoing investigation into the clinic's operations.

She said outside attorneys have been hired to represent several officials with the Department of State and Health at a cost to taxpayers of $116,000 so far.

Gov. Tom Corbett, speaking at a Capitol news conference — his first since taking office Jan. 18 — said he was unaware of the agencies' hiring outside counsel since it happened before he took office.

Corbett said he has directed the acting agency heads at the departments of health and state to prepare reports on the clinic case and would comment further when the reports are released.

State Sen. Pat Vance, chairman of the Public Health and Welfare Committee, which oversees the Department of Health, and state Sen. Vincent Hughes are among the lawmakers drafting legislation to ensure the safety of patients at abortion clinics, among them are bills that would mandate regular inspections of abortion clinics, increase penalties for practicing medicine without a license and require agencies to make information available to other agencies.

""We owe it to the victims," said state Sen. Richard A. Kasunic. "There must be accountability. There must be justice. There must be change."

(Worden reports for the Philadelphia Inquirer.)

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service