Judge allows feds to revise filing in anthrax case | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Judge allows feds to revise filing in anthrax case

Mike Wiser, Greg Gordon and Stephen Engelberg - Frontline, McClatchy Newspapers and ProPublica

July 29, 2011 07:07 PM

WASHINGTON — Justice Department lawyers, defending a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family of the first victim of the 2001 anthrax letter attacks, won a judge's approval Friday to withdraw a court filing that seemed to undermine the FBI's assertion that an Army researcher was the killer.

U.S. District Judge David Hurley of West Palm Beach, Fla., accepted a government attorney's declaration that the FBI and federal prosecutors didn't alert the government defense team to 10 errors in a statement of facts until after it had been filed in court on July 15.

The initial filing asserted flatly that Army researcher Bruce Ivins, whom the FBI accused of manufacturing the anthrax, lacked the "specialized equipment" needed to produce the deadly powder at a U.S. bio-weapons research facility in Frederick, Md.

The revised filing said that Ivins had access to a refrigerator-sized machine known as a lyophilizer, which can be used to dry solutions such as anthrax, at the facility in a less secure lab. In addition, it said that Ivins also had a smaller "speed-vac" that could be used for drying substances in his containment lab.

Ivins committed suicide on July 29, 2008, not long after federal prosecutors advised his attorney that they were on the verge of seeking his indictment on five capital murder counts. Early last year, the Justice Department closed its eight-year, $100 million investigation into the case and officially declared that the career anthrax researcher had mailed the letters shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. The letters were addressed to three media outlets and Democratic Sens. Patrick Leahy of Vermont and Tom Daschle of South Dakota.

The embarrassing legal flip-flop occurred as the government sought the dismissal of the $50 million wrongful death suit, which had been filed eight years ago by the family of Robert Stevens, a photo editor for American Media Inc. in Boca Raton, Fla. Stevens was the first person in U.S. history known to have died from an anthrax attack. Four others died from exposure to anthrax, including two postal workers, and 17 people were sickened.

In the suit, Stevens' family charged that the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID), where Ivins worked, was negligent in failing to secure stocks of anthrax, one of the world's most dangerous pathogens.

The government also retracted statements that suggested that live anthrax spores from a flask in Ivins' lab had been distributed more widely than the FBI had asserted in making its case against Ivins.

In its initial filing in the Stevens case, the government said that the spores were shipped to several private laboratories, including "at least" the Battelle Memorial Institute in West Jefferson, Ohio; Covance in Princeton, N.J., and BioPort in Lansing, Mich.

But in its revised declaration, the government said that Battelle was the only lab known to have been sent live spores.

It said that "a witness indicated" that material sent to Covance "would have likely been irradiated (killed) before shipment to Covance" and that the anthrax marked in Ivins' log as going to BioPort actually was associated with another researcher at USAMRIID and was "thus presumably used in-house ... and not shipped to BioPort."

The FBI has said that it eliminated all suspects other than Ivins, including those from outside laboratories.

(McClatchy, the investigative newsroom ProPublica and PBS's "Frontline" collaborated on this article. Wiser reports for Frontline, Gordon for McClatchy and Engelberg for ProPublica.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

New twist in anthrax case; Justice Department lawyers contradict FBI findings

Justice Department retracts court filings that undercut FBI's anthrax case

FBI lab reports on anthrax attacks suggest another miscue

Was FBI too quick to judge anthrax suspect the killer?

FBI's anthrax suspect is likely killer, panel concludes

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

crime

Judge: U.S. must show 'good cause' to revise anthrax filing

July 27, 2011 07:57 PM

national

Justice Department retracts court filings that undercut FBI's anthrax case

July 19, 2011 08:20 PM

crime

New twist in anthrax case; Justice Department lawyers contradict FBI findings

July 18, 2011 07:18 PM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service