ICE detains 3,000 immigrants with criminal records | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

ICE detains 3,000 immigrants with criminal records

Alfonso Chardy - The Miami Herald

September 29, 2011 06:59 AM

The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement announced Wednesday detentions nationwide of nearly 3,000 foreign nationals with criminal convictions in the largest operation of its kind since the agency was created in 2003.

According to a news release issued by the agency in Washington, the total number of arrests was 2,901 people, all with criminal records, during a seven-day operation in all 50 states. In Florida, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, detentions totaled 272, said Marc Moore, field officer at the agency’s Miami Office of Enforcement and Removal Operations. Of the 272, 56 were arrested in Miami-Dade County, 41 in Broward, 24 in Palm Beach and one in Monroe.

It is the first time that ICE has carried out a large operation nationwide in which all those arrested have criminal convictions. According to immigration experts, the operation was aimed at convincing immigrant communities and activists that policy has changed — and that from now on priority will be given to detaining and deporting only criminals and not undocumented immigrants without criminal records.

Last month, two high-ranking Obama administration officials promised that undocumented immigrants discovered by local police or ICE agents in cities and suburbs would be considered “low-priority” cases and would not necessarily be deported, although they could be detained.

The officials said three categories of foreign nationals are now subject to deportation: those who have criminal records, undocumented immigrants arrested upon crossing the border, and those who have been previously deported and have returned illegally.

ICE said that more than 1,000 of the 2,901 detained in Wednesday’s raids are highly dangerous criminals while 42 others are gang members and 151 have been convicted of sexual crimes.

The results of the operation illustrate ICE’s commitment to focus on the arrest and deportation of foreigners with criminal records and those who take advantage of the U.S. immigration system, said ICE Director John Morton.

The operation, dubbed Cross Check, involved more than 1,900 ICE agents, as well as officers from state and city police agencies in all 50 states.

Of the 2,901 arrested, 1,282 had multiple criminal convictions and about 1,600 had been arrested for involuntary homicide, attempted homicide, kidnapping, armed burglary, drug trafficking, abuse of minors, sexual crimes against minors and aggravated assaults.

Besides being detained with criminal records, 681 of those arrested were considered fugitives for having ignored deportation orders. Of those, 386 had been previously deported and had returned to the country on multiple occasions, according to ICE’s news release. About 146 individuals were accused of returning after they were deported, a charge that could result in prison sentences of up to 20 years.

None of those arrested in Florida, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands were identified by name, but ICE did give details of some cases.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service