Jerry Sandusky trial judge postpones proceedings | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Jerry Sandusky trial judge postpones proceedings

Mike Dawson - State College - Centre Daily Times

March 30, 2012 07:19 AM

BELLEFONTE — Jerry Sandusky’s trial on child abuse charges has been delayed until early June, and it’s looking as though the jury may be sequestered for the duration of the trial.

Jury selection will begin June 5, a Tuesday. The trial is to begin immediately after, Centre County Court Administrator Maxine Ishler said Thursday.

Previously, jury selection was scheduled for May 14 with the trial to follow.

Senior Judge John Cleland ruled Thursday that the trial date will be postponed “to accommodate various logistical contingencies that have arisen.” He didn’t elaborate.

Also Thursday, the prosecution responded to the defense’s motions asking the court to dismiss the case, or, if the case continues, to sequester the jury and suppress certain evidence. The defense’s motions were in a pretrial court filing last week.

A hearing for arguments on those questions has been scheduled for 9 a.m. Thursday in the Centre County Courthouse. Sandusky, 68, is expected to attend.

In the filing Thursday, prosecutor Frank Fina agreed with the defense that the jury should be sequestered during the trial. The judge still will have to rule on the matter.

If Cleland does opt for a sequestered jury, the county will pay for jurors to stay in hotels, along with their meals and transportation costs to and from the courthouse.

Arguing for sequestering the jury last week, Sandusky’s attorney, Joe Amendola, said he expected daily media publicity during the trial that would make it impossible for the jurors to avoid hearing or reading about the case.

Amendola said Thursday he's been reviewing discovery materials the defense has received from the Attorney General's Office and hopes to be ready for trial on June 5.

The prosecution also supported another defense request: that each potential juror be questioned individually as to his or her ability to be impartial while hearing the case. That process, called voir dire, is typically done in groups of 30 in Centre County during jury selection.

The individual voir dire is likely to lengthen the jury selection process.

The jury will be composed of Centre County residents, which is what Sandusky had argued for, contrary to the prosecution’s motion to bring in an out-of-county jury.

Where the prosecution and defense didn’t agree in the recent filings was whether the case should go to trial. The defense had argued last week there isn’t enough specificity as to the time and date of when the alleged abuses occurred, which made preparing for trial difficult, if not impossible.

Fina fired back at the defense’s claims, arguing the state’s Superior Court gives prosecutors “broad latitude when attempting to fix the date of offenses which involve a continuous course of criminal conduct,” especially cases involving alleged sexual offenses against children.

Sandusky “cannot exploit the appalling breadth of his own criminal conduct by claiming it encompasses so long a period as to hamper his defense,” Fina wrote.

Fina also argued that the defense could have tested the prosecution’s evidence during a preliminary hearing in December, but they waived that right and don’t have the standing now to test the evidence.

As for the defense’s claim the statute of limitations had expired, Fina said state law makes exceptions to prosecute someone who allegedly committed “major sexual offenses” against a minor.

The prosecutor also wrote in the filing that the search warrant used to search Sandusky’s house in June 2011 was obtained legally, as were the conversations recorded between Sandusky and two alleged victims.

Fina said Sandusky’s statements about a showering incident in 1998 to then-Penn State police detective Ron Schreffler shouldn’t be suppressed either. The defense argued Sandusky was not read his Miranda rights, but Fina said Sandusky wasn’t in custody and police didn’t have to advise him of the rights.

As for the hearing next week, it appears there will not be any disruption to traffic in the courthouse area.

Bellefonte Borough Manager Ralph Stewart said no downtown streets will be closed and that there won’t be any parking changes.

A large contingent of media from outside Centre County is expected to attend the hearing.

To read more, visit www.centredaily.com.

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service