Jerry Sandusky prosecutor in closing arguments: 'It's not about conspiracies' | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Jerry Sandusky prosecutor in closing arguments: 'It's not about conspiracies'

Mike Dawson - State College - Centre Daily Times

June 21, 2012 02:54 PM

The prosecution in the Jerry Sandusky case mocked the defense's "grand conspiracy theory" and said the case is proved by the testimony from eight young men, which shows Sandusky exhibited the range of grooming behavior of a "serial predatory pedophile."

"It's about those boys," said prosecutor Joseph E. McGettigan III during his closing arguments, pointing to pictures of the eight boys who are now young men who testified last week that they were abused by Sandusky.

McGettigan was calm and at times explanatory about the legal process during his closing arguments. He spoke in a soft, sometimes inaudible voice and used some notes.

But he picked up his firebrand style toward the end of his hour-long argument, walked from the jury box to stand behind Sandusky and said no one could give the young men ages 18 to 28 "pieces of their souls" back. But, he said, there's one thing they can do: "Give him the justice he really deserves, and find him guilty of everything," McGettigan said as he pointed his finger at Sandusky and looked straight on at the jury.

Four of the alleged victims — Nos. 1, 4, 6 and 9 — were in the courtroom for the prosecution's closing arguments.

McGettigan reminded the jury of what he had told them in his opening last week — that the defense would admit what it must, deny what it could, call people liars, make counter charges and allege a conspiracy.

In mocking the defense's conspiracy theory — that the young men, investigators and others involved got together to allege the abuse — McGettigan said the allegations span back and the people involved didn't know each other.

"It's not about conspiracies, it's not about time-traveling conspiracies, it's not about people seeking fame, fortune or money," McGettigan said.

"If you conclude there's a conspiracy then somebody bring the handcuffs for me," he said.

McGettigan pointed out that defense attorney Joe Amendola never asked the alleged victims on cross-examination questions specifically about the sex acts, instead questioning the witnesses about dates, places and times.

Sandusky looked on as McGettigan addressed the jury in a soft voice. Sandusky smirked once when McGettigan said Sandusky was seen twice late in the night after a janitor allegedly saw him abusing a boy in 2000.

McGettigan stood up for the state police investigators Amendola blasted in his closing arguments. And McGettigan said even that, though Mike McQueary didn't call police after the incident in 2001, "he's met the mark on everything since," saying McQueary has "stood up to the criticism" and "hasn't revised history."

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service