Feds investigate rapes in Alaska National Guard | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Feds investigate rapes in Alaska National Guard

By Sean Cockerham - McClatchy Washington Bureau

March 26, 2014 08:20 PM

Alaska Gov. Sean Parnell has called in a federal investigation of sexual assault and fraud in the Alaska National Guard, including an inquiry into how the guard’s commanders handled reports of rape and other offenses.

Parnell said the federal National Guard Bureau agreed Wednesday to investigate the Alaska National Guard at his request.

The governor oversees the Alaska National Guard and appointed its commander, Maj. Gen. Tom Katkus. Parnell’s letter requesting the federal investigation said he wants it to include a look at how Katkus and his aides have handled sexual misconduct allegations within the ranks.

"I am extremely proud of our Alaska National Guard members and their professionalism in carrying out their duties. However, I remain deeply concerned by reports of sexual assaults and other behavior creating a hostile environment and culture within portions of the Alaska National Guard," Parnell wrote the federal National Guard bureau.

Parnell wrote in the letter that he recently learned information compelling him to seek an outside look at the Alaska National Guard’s training, reporting, investigations and case handling regarding sexual misconduct issues.

Parnell spokeswoman Sharon Leighow declined to say what new information had prompted the governor to take this step.

Leighow said the governor still has "full confidence in General Katkus."

Members of the Alaska National Guard, including two senior chaplains, told McClatchy Newspapers last year that sexual assault victims do not trust commanders to help them because of a history of mishandled complaints. They described a serious sexual assault and harassment problem and said the Parnell administration was told of the problems as far back as 2010.

The Alaska National Guard subsequently revealed that a dozen soldiers face administrative charges of sexual misconduct, including four sexual assault cases. Several allegations center on members of the recruiting and retention unit in the Alaska Army National Guard, headquartered at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Anchorage.

Parnell is asking the federal National Guard Bureau to investigate open and closed cases of sexual assault and fraud in the Alaska National Guard. Parnell’s office did not provide details of the fraud allegations that he wants probed.

Parnell also wants the federal National Guard Bureau to review sexual assault cases that the Alaska National Guard "referred to civilian law enforcement who declined to investigate."

Parnell said he wants a detailed report from the National Guard Bureau’s Office of Complex Investigations. He told the federal bureau that all guard units and the Alaska Department of Military and Veterans Affairs would cooperate.

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service