Alleged leader of Benghazi attack faces 10 new death-penalty counts | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Alleged leader of Benghazi attack faces 10 new death-penalty counts

By Greg Gordon - McClatchy Washington Bureau

October 14, 2014 11:21 PM

A federal grand jury on Tuesday returned murder charges that strengthen prospects of a death penalty against an alleged Libyan terrorist leader accused of spearheading the Sept. 11, 2012 Benghazi attack that killed the U.S. ambassador to the North African nation.

Besides Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, three other government personnel died in the attack that night and the following morning on a U.S. diplomatic mission and a separate federal facility in Benghazi, known as the annex.

In a superseding indictment, the grand jury in the District of Columbia accused Ahmed Abu Khatallah of 17 new charges, 10 carrying a possible death penalty. Khatallah, 43, was arrested on June 17, leading to the unsealing of a three-count criminal case that had been filed against him on July 15, 2014.

“These additional charges reflect Ahmed Abu Khatallah’s integral role in the attack on U.S. facilities in Benghazi, which led to the deaths of four brave Americans,” Attorney General Eric Holder said. “We will never relent in pursuing justice against those who commit heinous acts of terrorism against the United States.”

Considerable confusion has surrounded the attack on the consulate in Benghazi, now the subject of a special congressional investigating committee. Administration officials initially portrayed it as an angry, but spontaneous demonstration that got out of control.

Federal prosecutors now allege it was premeditated.

The superseding indictment alleges that Khatallah was the commander of Ubaydah Bin Jarrah, an Islamist extremist militia in Benghazi, that hoped to establish harsh Sharia law in Libya. In 2011, that group merged with Ansar al-Sharia, another Islamist extremist group operating in Libya with the same goal, it says. Khatallah became a Benghazi leader of the merged group, the indictment says.

It charges that he conspired with others to attack the facilities, kill U.S. citizens, destroy buildings and other property and plunder materials, including documents, maps and computers containing sensitive information.

The lead charge in the original case accused Khatallah of conspiring to use a dangerous weapon to kill a person in an attack on a federal facility – a charge that could be punishable by a death sentence.

The new charges that carry death sentences include: one count of murder of an internationally protected person; three counts of murder of an officer and employee of the United States; four counts of killing a person in the course of an attack on a federal facility involving the use of a firearm and a dangerous weapon, and two counts of maliciously damaging and destroying U.S. property by means of fire and an explosive causing death.

Khatallah pleaded guilty to the initial charges. He is due to appear for arraignment before U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper on Oct. 20.

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service