Ex-mining CEO faces four felony counts stemming from deadly 2010 blast | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Courts & Crime

Ex-mining CEO faces four felony counts stemming from deadly 2010 blast

By Greg Gordon - McClatchy Washington Bureau

November 13, 2014 07:06 PM

A federal grand jury on Thursday indicted Donald Blankenship, the former chief executive of Massey Energy Co., on four felony charges related to the worst coal mining disaster since the 1960s, holding him personally accountable for hundreds of safety violations that preceded the deadly explosion.

The indictment, handed up in Charleston, W.Va., accuses Blankenship of conspiring to violate mandatory federal mine safety and health standards, conspiring to impede federal mine safety officials, making false statements to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and securities fraud.

The impetus for the rare FBI investigation into occupational safety violations was a massive blast that killed 29 miners on April 5, 2010 at Massey’s Upper Big Branch mine in Raleigh County, W.Va., the company’s most lucrative coal operation and one that Blankenship allegedly oversaw personally. Several other current and former company employees have already been charged and convicted.

If convicted on all counts, Blankenship faces up to 31 years in prison.

A company manager, David Hughart, was sentenced last year to 42 months in jail and three years of supervised release, although he had no direct involvement in the operation of the Upper Big Branch mine.

The grand jury alleged that Blankenship participated personally in a scheme in which messages were relayed from security guards to managers to underground crews whenever federal mine safety inspectors showed up unannounced at the mine, so miners could conceal as many safety violations as possible.

Even so, the mine was cited about 835 times for violating mandatory federal mine safety and health standards between Jan. 1, 2008 and April 9, 2010, the indictment said. Most significantly, it said, the company was cited scores of times for violating mine ventilation requirements – crucial measures to prevent explosions and fires.

On or around June 4, 2009, it said, a federal mine safety inspector discovered that the air flow measured 147 cubic feet per minute in an area of the mine where 9,000 cubic feet per minute were required to carry away explosive substances in the mine atmosphere.

Blankenship stands accused of conspiring, from about Jan. 1, 2008 through about April 9, 2010, of conspiring to commit and cause routine, willful violations of mandatory federal mine safety and health standards.

In addition, the indictment alleges that after the deadly explosion, Blankenship made false statements and representations to the Securities and Exchange Commission concerning Massey Energy’s safety practices and materially misleading omissions in connection with the purchase and sale of the company’s stock.

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE COURTS & CRIME

Criminal Justice

Ted Cruz rallies conservatives with changes to criminal justice reform plan

December 06, 2018 01:51 PM

Congress

Kamala Harris aide resigns after harassment, retaliation settlement surfaces

December 05, 2018 07:18 PM

Congress

Felons may be back in the hemp farming business

December 05, 2018 04:08 PM

Investigations

‘This may be just the beginning.’ U.S. unveils first criminal charges over Panama Papers

December 04, 2018 07:27 PM

Criminal Justice

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime

November 28, 2018 08:00 AM

Criminal Justice

Texas oilman Tim Dunn aims to broaden GOP’s appeal with criminal justice plan

November 20, 2018 04:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service