Venezuela says it's expelling top U.S. diplomats | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

Nation & World

Venezuela says it's expelling top U.S. diplomats

By Franco Ordoñez

May 22, 2018 02:59 PM

WASHINGTON

Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro announced that he is expelling the top U.S. diplomat in Venezuela and his deputy for conspiring against Venezuela. He said they must leave for the "dignity and independence" of Venezuela.

Maduro declared Chargé d’Affaires Todd Robinson and his deputy Brian Naranjo "persona non grata"and gave them 48 hours to leave the country during a televised address Tuesday in which he denounced the “offensive” U.S. sanctions, which he said violated international law and caused greater harm and suffering for the Venezuelan people.

“I say to the Government of Donald Trump, I say to the government of the Ku Klux Klan,” Maduro declared to applause from supporters. “I say, not with sanctions, not with threats, you didn’t stop the elections. The elections happened. And they were successful....Venezuelan is the victim of a threat never seen before.”

The State Department said they had seen the reports and defended Robinson and Naranjo.

"We reject completely the false allegations made by Maduro against Chargé Robinson and Deputy Chief of Mission Naranjo," the department said in a statement.

The announcement comes after the United States's latest sanctions against the Venezuelan government in response to what it called an illegitimate and "sham" election Sunday that gave Maduro another six-year term.

The Trump administration announced it was blocking the Venezuelan government from selling off the nation's assets in exchange for cash.

Trump said he signed the executive order to prevent corrupt Venezuelan officials from conducting “fire sales,” and lining their own pockets by selling Venezuelan debt that the nation's people would be saddled with in the future.

"This money belongs to the Venezuelan people," Trump said.

Maduro said Venezuela wants a good relationship with the United States, a relationship based on mutual respect. But he said it appears impossible.

“What they don’t want to understand is Venezuela is sovereign and free,” Maduro said. “Venezuela will fight. "

Robinson has only been in the job at the U.S. Embassy in Caracas for a few months. The career diplomat previously served as the U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Guatemala from September 16, 2014 to September 20, 2017.

Franco Ordoñez: 202-383-6155, @francoordonez

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATION & WORLD

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service