For decades, Charlie Brotman’s role in the inaugural parade every four years was nonpartisan. He was just there to tell the new president which bands, groups and organizations were marching in front of him at any given moment.
But on Saturday, the 89-year-old took a few shots at President Donald Trump while introducing the organizers behind the Women’s March on Washington.
First, though, a bit of background. Brotman first began announcing the inaugural parade when he was not even 30 years old in 1957. Since then, he has become an inaugural institution, announcing 15 parades for 10 different presidents. Although Brotman had no formal contract or guarantee from president to president, he assumed after Trump was elected that he would be invited again, and he very much wanted the job.
But Trump’s inaugural committee instead decided to hire another Washington D.C. voice artist, Steve Ray, who had volunteered for the Trump campaign. In an email to Brotman, the committee instead offered to make Brotman, “Announcer Chairman Emeritus.”
In the immediate aftermath, Brotman said he was heartbroken and even contemplated suicide, he told CNN. However, as time went on he said he had swallowed the disappointment and wished Ray well. He even secured a consolation job, helping to provide commentary on the parade for NBC’s Washington affiliate, per the Washington Post.
Then, the day after the inauguration, Brotman popped up again, this time at the Women’s March, posing for a picture with Linda Sarsour, one of the event’s organizers.