About the Khalid Sheik Mohammad letter you read: Pentagon now says it’s classified | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

National

About the Khalid Sheik Mohammad letter you read: Pentagon now says it’s classified

By Carol Rosenberg

crosenberg@MiamiHerald.com

February 09, 2017 08:43 PM

The Pentagon said Thursday it would not release for the public to see a 2015 letter from the alleged 9/11 mastermind to Barack Obama — a day after the Miami Herald posted the document on its website.

“The letter from Khalid Sheik Mohammad to President Obama has been classified by the reviewing authority as ‘not for public release,’ and as such will not be made publicly available by the Military Commissions,” Air Force Maj. Ben Sakrisson, a Defense Department spokesman on Guantánamo issues, said by email.

Mohammed, 51, who is at Guantánamo awaiting a death-penalty trial, is accused of orchestrating the hijackings of Sept. 11, 2001, that killed nearly 3,000 people in New York, at the Pentagon and in a Pennsylvania field. He wrote the letter, rife with insulting commentary on U.S. foreign policy, at Guantánamo, but the prison refused to mail it.

FULL REPORT: Alleged mastermind tells Obama 9/11 was America’s fault

Then on Jan. 6, Mohammed’s judge, Army Col. James L. Pohl, ordered prosecutors to get it to the departing president at least a week before Donald Trump took office. He gave the prison an extra month to scrub it of sensitive information before releasing it on the Pentagon war court website whose motto is “Fairness * Transparency * Justice.”

“The commission finds no other legal basis for continued sealing of the letter’s contents,” the judge wrote in a Jan. 6 order. “There appears to be an inconsistency in the government’s position with respect to the propriety of sealing writings of the accused. The government proposes to seal Mr. Mohammed’s letter … throughout the pendency of this trial as inflammatory propaganda; yet, the Government also attached a submission by the accused entitled ‘The Islamic Response to the Government’s Nine Accusations,’ ” as a public filing in other motions.

Sakrisson did not elaborate on what constituted “the reviewing authority” or the basis for continued sealing.

In court, prosecutors had argued that the prison concluded it should not be sent to the president, while defense attorneys for Mohammed noted that they had previously submitted it for an intelligence review and found it contained no classified material.

So, at the request of the Herald, the lawyers provided a copy after the 30-day review timetable expired.

The Miami Herald asked Sakrisson both Tuesday and Wednesday why the letter had not been released after the 30-day review. He did not explain that the Pentagon chose not to release it until Thursday afternoon.

Carol Rosenberg: 305-376-3179, @carolrosenberg

▪ Prosecution filing, known as The Islamic Response, cited by the judge here.

▪ Defense released full letter from the alleged mastermind KSM to Obama here.

▪ The letter as it appears on the Pentagon’s war court website here.

Read Next

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

By Emma Dumain

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Rep. Jim Clyburn is out to not only lead Democrats as majority whip, but to prove himself amidst rumblings that he didn’t do enough the last time he had the job.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

House backs spending bill with $5.7 billion in wall funding, shutdown inches closer

December 20, 2018 11:29 AM

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service